Discuss Cooker supply 12kw correct cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just fitted a rangemaster elan induction at home, instructions stipulated 10mm and 40A MCB, I wondered how id fair if I fitted it to a 6mm cable with warranty etc and at over 2 grand I wasn't taking chances. I commented to the missus that 6 of us grew up with four burners, 1 oven and an eye level grill that took your eyebrows every time you lit it with a match (or piece of paper!)

Now then Rangemaster. I had this one with a customer earlier this year.She had paid for delivery and fitment. On arrival fitter said its only 6mm cable needs to be 10mm and 40a breaker. It was returned and she contacted me. Silly thing was it was the new version of the one she was replacing.With divercity it was pushing 29.5 A. The Rangemaster book says 10mm and 40 a but if you dig on their web site it states they are ok on 6mm and 32A mcb. I presented her with a print off from the site. the next day the range and another sparky turned up, he agreed what she had been told was bull. He installed it tested it and went on his way. This pathetic Christmas dinner senario does not happen. This lady cookes a Massive meal every week end for 12+ people and has never tripped. I also did a clamp test on a new install and after 90 seconds with every thing switched on (4 induction rings and a fan oven/grill) the current dropped like a stone to single figures. You could if you wanted fit a 40A breaker to a 6mm cable under certain conditions is not a problem.

Now then Rangemaster. I had this one with a customer earlier this year.She had paid for delivery and fitment. On arrival fitter said its only 6mm cable needs to be 10mm and 40a breaker. It was returned and she contacted me. Silly thing was it was the new version of the one she was replacing.With divercity it was pushing 29.5 A. The Rangemaster book says 10mm and 40 a but if you dig on their web site it states they are ok on 6mm and 32A mcb. I presented her with a print off from the site. the next day the range and another sparky turned up, he agreed what she had been told was bull. He installed it tested it and went on his way. This pathetic Christmas dinner senario does not happen. This lady cookes a Massive meal every week end for 12+ people and has never tripped. I also did a clamp test on a new install and after 90 seconds with every thing switched on (4 induction rings and a fan oven/grill) the current dropped like a stone to single figures. You could if you wanted fit a 40A breaker to a 6mm cable under certain conditions is not a problem.

His name wasn't Steve was it? He said my Rangemaster had to be connected to a 40A supply & 10mm cable.

His name wasn't Steve was it? He said my Rangemaster had to be connected to a 40A supply & 10mm cable.

Per Rangemaster FAQ dated 10/11/16 "Ceramic and induction models may be connected to a suitable 6mm cable with a 32A breaker (providing the isolator switch does not incorporate a 13A socket)"
It also states in the owners handbook " Installation to comply with BS7671", which tells you how to calculate and apply diversity. My customers argument to Rangemaster was (which I advised her to ask) "are you saying this product will not comply or meet with the conditions of BS7671?
It had the required result. Manufactures also have an obligation to the customer for their product to meet a specified standard.

To be fair, my Rangemaster electrical instructions, just state it must be installed by a qualified electrician in compliance with BS7671, maximum size cables that can be terminated, and max load of appliance. Sort of 'down to you in the studio'.

Yup a qualified sparky will work it out and design a new circuit or in this case confirm the existing circuit is suitable as per BS 7671. Rangemaster does say on the FAQ page 10mm cable and a 45A breaker will give "greater flexibility", but, if all you need is to replace your range with another one and don't want the flexibility one can only assume there was an ulterior motive by the electrician. I wonder what it was!!!

I dunno, the guy who fitted mine was a gas safe fitter (mine has gas hobs). He did tell me off 'cos my old 2.2kW oven with manufactures 1.5mm flex was connected to my 40A 10mm supply via cooker connection unit. Should of been connected via 13amp FCU apparently :rolleyes:

I did have to refit an AGA all electric monster, about 18kW max load I think. It had been connected up by AGA persons in the old kitchen to a 32A 6mm supply, which had happily existed for a few months. When we refurbed, I ask by chance AGA technical what supply it should have, '45A 10mm'. So, I went down the middle, 32A ocpd & 10mm cable.

The 1.5mm via a CCU is much less preferable to a 13a FCU set up.
In reality The AGA 18kw monster would be fine on 6mm and a 32a breaker (under suitable conditions) as per BS7671 as diversity gives 30.5 amps. The diversity set up has been going for some 60 years and has stood the test of time.

The 1.5mm via a CCU is much less preferable to a 13a FCU set up.
In reality The AGA 18kw monster would be fine on 6mm and a 32a breaker (under suitable conditions) as per BS7671 as diversity gives 30.5 amps. The diversity set up has been going for some 60 years and has stood the test of time.

Errhh?

Has anybody here ever fitted a domestic cooker on a 32A MCB and had problems with it tripping?

I must've fitted hundreds of cookers including some big lumps in the last 15 years and never had even one report of tripping through overload.

Reply to Cooker supply 12kw correct cable size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net