Discuss Cooker Switch Again! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Aligayter

Hi All,

I am chasing in the wiring for an extension to my house. The extension is a new kitchen and I am just putting in the cooker isolation switch and cooker feed flex.

I have located the switch and outlet (double + deep box) directly above the cooker cabinet (600mm Tall 2.2M) on the vertical centerline of the cabinet. It is out of heats way and is fed by a 6mm CSA cable with its own breaker in the consumer unit.

Is this setup OK or does the switch have to be accessible without the use of a step, I'm in a state of near panic as the wall has to be drylined almost as I write.

What is your considered opinion gentlemen?

The cooker switch needs to be accessible in case it needs turning off quickly with the example of a cooker fire it should be within reach without having to reach across the cooker itself.

Thanks for the prompt reply Darkwood, one thing I have not mentioned is that the appliance is an double oven the hob is elsewhere in the kitchen. My mistake. Does this change any thing?

One option would be to feed down and to the left of the tall cabinets and then feed right to the oven after the switch, is this the type of thing you are thinking of? It would mean that the appliance flex would come out behind the cabinet. I guess that that is OK.

regards

Aligayter

all terminations must be accessible including cooker control switch and cooker connection unit. the cooker switch must be no nearer than 300mm (as well as any sockets etc) and no further than 2m from the cooker ie if standing between the two a full armspan should be close to both. this job legally must be notified to local authority building control probably before starting depending on the borough and definately after. it might be cheaper and definately safer to get a registered electrician to install it and notify labc

Patrick,

Thankyou for your reply, I eventually found the info in the regs and will mount the switch to the side.

I have indeed got a registered and good electrician to advise and check all the work that I carry out. He will also commission the system in the future. Money prohibits me from employing him to do the entire job and even worse he has trundled off to Madeira for two weeks for a spell of relaxation.

Thanks for the good advise.

Regards

Aligayter

If you already have a Building Control Notice for your extension, then the electrical work can be notified as part of this and does not require any additional BCNs.

The LABC will however, require an EIC with a full schedule to Inspections and Tests to be provided to them as part of the electrical work.

Yooj

Thanks Yooj,

Yup the Local Authority are up to speed on my work here and my trusty electrician will provide the final inspection and test certificate.

I'm trying to get the internal finish which means that all the sockets and switches need a home which in turn means that I need to understand what is required. I am satisfied now that my new design will be OK with the help of you guys. So I can start putting up the plasterboard with confidence. It this stage only the wiring that will not pull through is being installed. That includes the 6mm as it now has a 90 Degree bend in it which will be buried once the plasterboard is up.

When you can find it the regs clearly state that the switch may not be above the appliance. There is just too much information for one head!

Thanks

Aligayter

Reply to Cooker Switch Again! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net