Discuss Cooker switch and gas pipe electric shock, aahhhh help? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sam76

-
Reaction score
Hi guys

Ive just installed a new kitchen, connected the 3 year old range cooker back in with a new cooker connection unit as the old one broke by overtightning screws .
Once I connected the 2 gang cooker switch and earthed it to the metal back box and checked all cables were tight enough, and proceeded to connect the gas rubber hose to the gas pipe supply, but before shoving the bayonet into the gas connection , I held on to the gas pipe and got an electric shock, I then checked the power cable on the back of the cooker to see if everything is fine and earth on the cooker itself, which it was. Now, I started to look at the switch itself, all cables intact tight enough, Obviously to narrow the problem down I bought new 45a 2 gang cooker socket, installed it , no luck, same kind of a shock

The copper gas pipe seems to give me the shock every time, I tried touching other metal i.e gas cooker, metal parts of the hood , cutlery , tried a few tools, metal mechanisms of the kitchen unit. it seems these items are ok

This all happening with consumer unit cooker breaker on the OFF Position , whilst other breakers are ON position for other sockets

The earthing part to metal back box was taken from 45a cooker socket LOAD side, not the supply side. Still no luck , I then tried both load and supply , earthed to the back box, effing no luck? , can’t seem to narrow the problem down, the local takeaway bill is knocking me out

As far the gas pipe concerned, I’ve checked the gas box outside to see if it’s earthed with 600mm couldn’t see any metal clips , never have seen one inside, it’s the same gas pipe we are connecting too. But now there’s a problem

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Cheers

The copper gas pipe seems to give me the shock every time, I tried touching other metal i.e gas cooker, metal parts of the hood , cutlery , tried a few tools, metal mechanisms of the kitchen unit. it seems these items are ok

This is not an appropriate test method!!

Hi guys

Ive just installed a new kitchen,

Who did the electrical work for you? Was any testing done? Did you get an EIC?

Fault could be on anything within the kitchen!

Best get your sparkie back. Or if you have done it then best of luck to you.

Messer got to be
A lot of words though! Had to chuckle to the test method as Wes stated, it’s not very appropriate - is that why we’ve all got multi hundred pound testers?

Maybe the OP dosent need a meter. He can tell how much volts goes up his arm and used the cutlery to measure Zs

So I could have saved a fortune on this new Fluke I bought!!

Was the "shock" more or less a little "crack" Might be a build up of static.

The seriousness of it being an actual 230v shock means you cant just keep risking touching it to see if its cured.
Any suggestions made on the forum to what MIGHT be a cause would be futile. You may have a serious problem here that only a qualified electrician can find.
Apologies if the responses are somewhat blunt.

Hi guys

Ive just installed a new kitchen, connected the 3 year old range cooker back in with a new cooker connection unit as the old one broke by overtightning screws .
Once I connected the 2 gang cooker switch and earthed it to the metal back box and checked all cables were tight enough, and proceeded to connect the gas rubber hose to the gas pipe supply, but before shoving the bayonet into the gas connection , I held on to the gas pipe and got an electric shock, I then checked the power cable on the back of the cooker to see if everything is fine and earth on the cooker itself, which it was. Now, I started to look at the switch itself, all cables intact tight enough, Obviously to narrow the problem down I bought new 45a 2 gang cooker socket, installed it , no luck, same kind of a shock

This all happening with consumer unit cooker breaker on the OFF Position , whilst other breakers are ON position for other sockets

The earthing part to metal back box was taken from 45a cooker socket LOAD side, not the supply side. Still no luck , I then tried both load and supply , earthed to the back box, effing no luck? , can’t seem to narrow the problem down, the local takeaway bill is knocking me out

As far the gas pipe concerned, I’ve checked the gas box outside to see if it’s earthed with 600mm couldn’t see any metal clips , never have seen one inside, it’s the same gas pipe we are connecting too. But now there’s a problem

Cheers
Do yourself and your Family a favour Sam, call an Electrician in, before you do yourself some damage.
It could be something simple, but on the other hand it could be more involved, trying to sort something out by trial and error is not a good fault finding method.

This has to be a wind up. One of the most incredibly stupid things I've heard. Don't be tight when your putting peoples lives at risk and call an electrician.

I have heard of a spark (no names no pack drill) who, when surprised by a belt, said "that can't be ÂŁ&@ing right!" and touched it again :)

Obviously to narrow the problem down I bought new 45a 2 gang cooker socket
That's probably the least obvious thing to try (other than touching it a second time)
I suggest your installation has at least two dangerous faults and needs fully testing by a competent person

Last edited:
That's probably the least obvious thing to try (other than touching it a second time)

I suggest your installation has at least two dangerous faults and needs fully testing by a competent person
John has hit the nail on the head with his comments.

You've most likely got more than one fault plus what you're doing is downright dangerous which is the reason I'm closing this thread.

You need to get a competent electrician with the appropriate test equipment to help you find the problems. Please don't continue, either you or another user of the electrical installation is likely to get injured.

Reply to Cooker switch and gas pipe electric shock, aahhhh help? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock