Discuss Cooker switches in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just done an inspection on a house. Recent (6 years) new kitchen. Oven and hob isolator switches are on the wall behind fitted cupboards and pull out drawers. Can't reach the Hob isolator switch and definately can't unscrew the cover. Oven switch is accessible if the drawer(s) are removed.

Whatever I specify the observation its not going to get fixed as it would cause too much disruption. Somewhere in the back of my mind I've read something that specifies the switches should be within 2m of oven/hob, but I can't remember where. Anyone seen this? Next to one of these isolators there is also 2 sockets for the built in microwave and fridge, also difficult to access, but not impossible.

Thinking this is a C2, but this makes it UNSATISFACTORY. This is the only observation(s).

Any comments?

i'd code it as C3. reason being, that there is not a foreseeable danger. isolation can be performed at the CU if necessary. the 2m rule is a building reg. recommendation, not in BS7671.

i'd code it as C3. reason being, that there is not a foreseeable danger. isolation can be performed at the CU if necessary. the 2m rule is a building reg. recommendation, not in BS7671.

Normally agree with Tel , and his information is correct.
However i work on the basis that if its not covered by bs7671 , no code , but can be commented on.

Just to expand - if the regs dont require the switch in the first place then you cant code it if its in a rubbish place.

the reason i would code it is that you have terminations which are inaccessible. not just the isolator/s.

Reply to Cooker switches in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock