Discuss Cooker trips breaker in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alison

New kitchen fitted. Company's electrician came to connect cooker on Friday afternoon. Told me when he left all ok to use. Sunday, went to cook Sunday lunch. Trip in fusebox keeps going.

Looked under new kitchen unit to find cover that goes over wires on back of cooker the on floor. So decided to pull out cooker and found what is in the photos here.

What do I say or do when they come back on Monday ?

Picture 337.jpgPicture 339.jpg

Hi Alison, that is not the work of an Electrician.

/QUOTE]
A Has this circuit been tested?
B Why was it not installed on a proper cooker outlet?
C Why has the stranded CPC not been sleeved?
D Why is the cooker tripping the RCD?
E Are you aware that leaving the terminations like this could have caused a shock risk?
F Are you properly qualified and experienced?
G Does your manager/supervisor know you carry out work to this standard?
H Can I have his/her phone number?
I Do you have something else to do because you're not touching this until your manager/supervisor has seen it and commented?

New kitchen fitted. Company's electrician came to connect cooker on Friday afternoon. Told me when he left all ok to use. Sunday, went to cook Sunday lunch. Trip in fusebox keeps going.

Looked under new kitchen unit to find cover that goes over wires on back of cooker the on floor. So decided to pull out cooker and found what is in the photos here.

View attachment 25305View attachment 25306
Hi Alison.

Get those little sh**s back round there to sort out this crap.

Thanks Love.

Their replies are better than mine, go with whichever suits at the time.

It is rough, but it may not be the wiring causing the tripping. I've had 2 brand new ovens in the last year that tripped the RCD.
Moisture in the element I think. If warmed up properly on a non-rcd circuit, they are usually ok when put back on the RCD.

If this work is the standard of the company's I would be getting everything that they torched electrical looked at & tested IMO !

and ask him if he knows what a ring crimp is. it's not something to stop him farting.

Another prat P cock up I would imagine, get them back with a proper sparks this time, cowboy job of the highest order.

I would refuse to have them back in the house. I would recommend you phone the company fitting your kitchen and ask for a supervisor to attend your home. When he comes around to see you show him the shambles you have identified and ask him if he can send a Professional electrician around to carry out any electrical works becaise you are concerned for the safety of your family. If he refuses I would recommend you phone trading standards immediately and e-mail them the photos you have shown us and they will or should take action.

I would refuse to have them back in the house. I would recommend you phone the company fitting your kitchen and ask for a supervisor to attend your home. When he comes around to see you show him the shambles you have identified and ask him if he can send a Professional electrician around to carry out any electrical works becaise you are concerned for the safety of your family. If he refuses I would recommend you phone trading standards immediately and e-mail them the photos you have shown us and they will or should take action.
yes Mike....

but they have 3 opportunities to correct their work....

the guy on the elecsa stand was quite clear about that one when i handed over those images of the chud found by UKsparks......

quite clear about it....i left him quite clear about what i thought as well.......

First thing that went through my mind? The OP wanted a cheap job done and now isn’t happy with the results.

Call me cynical if you like but I’ve seen a few jobs like this and the customer had wanted a cut price job each time.
A reputable company will do a good job and provide the service to match. Unfortunately it costs.

To be fair Tony, I've seen lots of stupidly expensive jobs that have been bodged to this standard

Reply to Cooker trips breaker in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net