Discuss Cookers Hobs wired in 2.5mm flex in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nickblake

Ok just wanted your opinion 2.5mm flex provided by the supplier on cookers and hobs , ive seen this twice and in my eye its wrong a hob of 7 kw and a slide in cooker of 7500 kw , it realy makes a mock of calculating cable sizes , ok if you take diversity into effect max current rating of flex is 25 amps ish diversity loading will be about 19 amps so all ok , well all untill you get a fault that is and the cable melts just wondering what your thoughts were , oh on both ive changed them to 6mm flex

Ok just wanted your opinion 2.5mm flex provided by the supplier on cookers and hobs , ive seen this twice and in my eye its wrong a hob of 7 kw and a slide in cooker of 7500 kw , it realy makes a mock of calculating cable sizes , ok if you take diversity into effect max current rating of flex is 25 amps ish diversity loading will be about 19 amps so all ok , well all untill you get a fault that is and the cable melts just wondering what your thoughts were , oh on both ive changed them to 6mm flex
well as you know nick.....a fault of neglegable impedence will take out the OPD or RCD/RCBO anyway.....so i dont get your drift?...

Nick where did you get 6mm flex locally?, CEF do 4mm that's what I do my hobs in

Get it from senet mate H05 6mm great stuff , funnily enough cant get 4mm in bangor

yes will trip the rcd etc to much reliance is put on RCD's these days , realistically speaking hobs and cookers can be on for long periods of time and you cant tell me they are not all used at the same time , i use all mine cooking sunday lunch and both ovens , see it to often on showers burning out and not tripping the RCD or mcb just catching fire no differance on cookers same sort of loading and possible on for longer durations ,

Cheers nick I now know where to go for it!, can get 4mm in CEF Llandudno but I've stop dealing with them now, it's Network in Mochdre or Electric fix for me!

Are you saying that the manufactures don't know what cable size/type to provide for the appliances they are producing and selling to the general public??

Ok just wanted your opinion 2.5mm flex provided by the supplier on cookers and hobs , ive seen this twice and in my eye its wrong a hob of 7 kw and a slide in cooker of 7500 kw That's one hell of an oven! :)
, it realy makes a mock of calculating cable sizes , ok if you take diversity into effect max current rating of flex is 25 amps ish diversity loading will be about 19 amps so all ok , well all untill you get a fault that is and the cable melts just wondering what your thoughts were , oh on both ive changed them to 6mm flex

So what happens to the fixed cct wiring in the event of a fault when there's several 100 Amps flowing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cookers Hobs wired in 2.5mm flex in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock