Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss copper pipe instead of trunking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

i am installing fp cable for a fire alarm system grade a ld1 under house floor but it is inaccessible because floor board is lifted only every few metres. i need to use trunking to secure the cable that can be cut into short sections and then assembled into a long piece when under the floor. can i use 22mm copper pipe and join the sections with compression nuts. will this be ok with bs7671? should i cover the pipe with red insulating tape to distinguish it from plumbing? what other options are there?

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
D

Dave

If it has to be plastic..which i'm sure the lads will comfirm or not...why not use plastic pipe and push fit joints rather than copper...?

B

beaver74

If it has to be plastic..which i'm sure the lads will comfirm or not...why not use plastic pipe and push fit joints rather than copper...?
i think the reason for the pipe is that as a fire alarm circuit this need fitting to fabric of building with fire resistant fixings
but instead of copper why not use be conduit with pvc adaptor as a push fit and sadle where needed

D

Dave

cheers beaver...i see what you mean now....you can tell i ain't no sparky....lol lol...you can get copper push fits as well...

S

Spudnik

The only way i think that you will be able to do this is mark the pipe with the correct colour as per 7671.

You may in the future get a plumber come in to hack a pipe out, only to realise it was the wrong one!!

i am installing fp cable for a fire alarm system grade a ld1 under house floor but it is inaccessible because floor board is lifted only every few metres. i need to use trunking to secure the cable that can be cut into short sections and then assembled into a long piece when under the floor. can i use 22mm copper pipe and join the sections with compression nuts. will this be ok with bs7671? should i cover the pipe with red insulating tape to distinguish it from plumbing? what other options are there?
You could use a catenary wire,cable tie to it before you install it.This could be like a 2 or 3mm wire rore,appropriately tensioned at the ends.If you can't use nylon cable ties,you can use stainless steel ones.I have used this system before but it was above a suspended ceiling where there was nothing to fix to..but I don't see why you couldn't use it under a floor. But I don't think the plumbing pipe is a good idea. "gripple" was the brand name of steel wire fixing system.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to copper pipe instead of trunking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom