Discuss Copper sheathed cable - Glanding Enquiry in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mineral insulated cable, known as pyro, MI, MICC, MIMS etc.

The correct tools and knowledge are essential for glanding it off properly. You could pick up some tools and hit the youtube videos, or possibly call a local electrician experienced in these matters to do it for you.

Garden lighting job. All this cable is to be stripped out and replaced with SWA. I have to join where it emerged from the house however. I've not come across this cable before or how to gland it. Any tips?

View attachment 35431

View attachment 35432
That Cable is MICC or Pyro, from your photo it looks like you have cut the glanded end off, probably would have been better if you had joined the MICC and SWA as it was at a convenient point, now you have the added problem of identifying what size the MICC is, and obtaining the correct gland, along with the corect tools to remake the end.

That Cable is MICC or Pyro, from your photo it looks like you have cut the glanded end off, probably would have been better if you had joined the MICC and SWA as it was at a convenient point, now you have the added problem of identifying what size the MICC is, and obtaining the correct gland, along with the corect tools to remake the end.

Unavoidable unfortunately. Thanks though.

It seems a shame that something as common as pyro was not fully practiced even by some sparks in the past
Its a bigger shame that the skill to work with the cable or even be able to recognise what it is,this has been neglected in modern training of the young

Its best if he does not throw out his hair dryer,even if he has pulled out all his hair in the meantime :)

It seems a shame that something as common as pyro was not fully practiced even by some sparks in the past
Its a bigger shame that the skill to work with the cable or even be able to recognise what it is,this has been neglected in modern training of the young

Its best if he does not throw out his hair dryer,even if he has pulled out all his hair in the meantime :)

It must be ten years since I did any MI work. I'd definitely have to have a few practice ends if I had to pick any up now. :(

Whereabouts in the southeast are you? Someone may be nearby and able to assist.
There are a few of us around who still work with MI on a regular basis

Make sure you get the size information from the old pot and gland before you throw it away, otherwise you'll struggle to get the new bits ordered correctly!

They still teach it as part of the C & G 2357 electro-technical apprenticeship. It is part of unit 606, the practical assignment they have to do. It is also still part of the AM2.

Jay

Can't believe they have taken Pyro out of the AM2. Wiping asses comes to mind. They are taking the skill out of our jobs. Still have my Pyro stripper. Crimper and potting Tool. Never will I sell it. It's a dying art that still gets used when wiring certain heritage building. Ie bare copper MICC is very common in churches. Must be the last of the generation to be proficient in MICC. Bending steel conduit using a wooden block. Hilmore bender stops used to go missing all the time. Soldering Lugs. The young sparkles coming through still need to be taught the old skool tricks... god bless the Jurassic spark who taught me. True Jedi Master.

Can't believe they have taken Pyro out of the AM2. Wiping asses comes to mind. They are taking the skill out of our jobs. Still have my Pyro stripper. Crimper and potting Tool. Never will I sell it. It's a dying art that still gets used when wiring certain heritage building. Ie bare copper MICC is very common in churches. Must be the last of the generation to be proficient in MICC. Bending steel conduit using a wooden block. Hilmore bender stops used to go missing all the time. Soldering Lugs. The young sparkles coming through still need to be taught the old skool tricks... god bless the Jurassic spark who taught me. True Jedi Master.

Well said KennyKen I was only thinking the same, but couldn't have put it better, to add, I personally think that some of the training outfits these days are only interested in getting as many students through to bolster their coffers.

It's a shame when you have people "qualifying" who have no idea what MICC is, not the fault of the student, if it's not taught how can they know? mind you a few hours with MICC isn't going to make you an expert, the likes of people like you and me, have been lucky to have worked with decent Electricians, the powers that be need to urgently address the Trade Apprenticeship schemes, not relying on, to coin a Kennyism "boil in the bag Sparkies", otherwise future generations will suffer.:mad:

Reply to Copper sheathed cable - Glanding Enquiry in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock