Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Copper to aluminium in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Elmocash

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, On a kitchen refit i found the cooker supply wired in aluminium pvc/pvc. I did a temp connection to give the client a working oven for the weekend. The Al cable is solid core of around 4mm, i connected new 6mm T+E in standard strip connectors with brass tunnel and steel screws. Thats a lot of mixed metals, any ideas of a permanent joint of Al/Cu. Cheers, Elmo

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

benji

-
Arms
fit g/box with terminal block(terminals with an internal leaf between core and screw so screw dosn't screw direcly into core)and apply an anti/oxidising paste to each joint.
yours benji

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
Hi, On a kitchen refit i found the cooker supply wired in aluminium pvc/pvc. I did a temp connection to give the client a working oven for the weekend. The Al cable is solid core of around 4mm, i connected new 6mm T+E in standard strip connectors with brass tunnel and steel screws. Thats a lot of mixed metals, any ideas of a permanent joint of Al/Cu. Cheers, Elmo
I would remove it as if you look at the 17th the smallest cable for ally cable is 16mm.

E

Elmocash

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks benji , thats the sort of thing i was looking for. There's a lot of stuff from the US about this where it seems ally cable was used more commonly. They use a practice called ' pigtailing' where copper fly wires are attached to the installed aluminium cable at the accessories in a compression sleeve, simillar i should think to the cable joint older spark's have told me about for doing j-boxes on ally cable. The stats for house fires caused by ally cable in the USA seem to have drivern this as a standard fix when ally cable is found on an inspection. I read somewhere ( stats from the US again ) ..your house is 55 times more likely to burn down due to an electrical fault if it is wired in aluminium cable...!, and having seen the photos of roast fittings from the houses that did survive i'm going to rewire the circuit as ian.settle1 has suggested. Thanks to you both.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Copper to aluminium in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom