Discuss Core Drill for Bathroom / Kitchen Fans in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

WarrenG

Any suggestions for a core drill to fit an extraction fan in a bathroom or kitchen??

I have been told that a diamond core drill is needed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Warren

Lew1s,

Yep any size indications would be appreciated.

Is there a standard size that you can buy for standard extractor fans?

it all depends on the size of the fan you intend to fit,your probably better off hiring one and the drill for the day though,not very expensive

Bathroom fans tend to be 4" and kitchens can be up to 6" dependent on where they are sighted. Unless fitting them day in, I'd hire them from HSS and put it on the bill.

if you want to drill a hole for a 4" you will want a 110mm core drill as core drills sizes are out side size and any pipe is sized 4"inside dimentions

if you want to drill a hole for a 4" you will want a 110mm core drill as core drills sizes are out side size and any pipe is sized 4"inside dimentions
If you have a choice, get a "thinwall" core bit (as opposed to thickwall) if you're just coring the hole in brick and block. Much less effort, quicker, and easier on the drill motor. I tend to core slightly bigger than 4" to accomodate screw heads, duct strapping, etc, that might also have to slide back in the hole as an assembly with the damper cap. If you drill a hole "exactly right", you'll end up cursing yourself. Most of the damper caps will cover up to a 5" hole.

Some of my friends have had decent luck with the grit-type hole saws in brick and block, but for just a few dollars more you can get a proper carbide toothed core bit. Difference between toys and tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for a tool hire co try Brandon tool Hire . I find HSS over priced. I have my own set as I often have to core cut for waste pipes and the like and if you were going to charge extra for hiring one why not buy one try screwfix etc and pass the equivalent hire cost on Getting the punter to pay for your tools is a rather good idea I think!

If you're looking for a tool hire co try Brandon tool Hire . I find HSS over priced. I have my own set as I often have to core cut for waste pipes and the like and if you were going to charge extra for hiring one why not buy one try screwfix etc and pass the equivalent hire cost on Getting the punter to pay for your tools is a rather good idea I think!

Maybe worth buying a set, when you consider the time involved to collect and return kit?

Will see if I can find a set with the standard fan sizes (i.e. as Beaver74 said 4'' 110mm)

Thanks for the replys.

i got a 6" 150mm core cutter for £35 which is fine for 6" fans, but if you use the flexible ducting kit to go from the back of the fan to the external flap cover then it requires a hole of 167mm for the ducting. If you go on screwfix they usually have the installation instructions online in a PDF for most of the fans so you can see what size holes are required

i got a 6" 150mm core cutter for £35 which is fine for 6" fans, but if you use the flexible ducting kit to go from the back of the fan to the external flap cover then it requires a hole of 167mm for the ducting. If you go on screwfix they usually have the installation instructions online in a PDF for most of the fans so you can see what size holes are required

Thanks experience, I will take a look as a size guide. I'm thinking that the best bet is to probably buy some of the more standard sizes, i.e. 4'' / 6''

If you're looking for a tool hire co try Brandon tool Hire . I find HSS over priced. !

They sure are I prefer to buy my tools though even if I only use on occasion
Core Drill for Bathroom / Kitchen Fans {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Hss are dear but definetly hire one as u need one with a slipping clutch, as if you don,t and that drill snags, i hope your shoulder or wrist hold out as it don,t arve urt man.

My SDS drill that i use for core cutting is a Ryobi 650W currently £39.99 from screwfix. Have done a lot of Ex fans box chiselling etc. 3 1/2 years old and now realise That if I'd greased the SDS connection it wouldn't be squeaking at me now. that drill has made it's money many times over and has clutch hammer and normal . You could do a lot worse.

I've never heard of Perles but bear in mind you'll need a transformer as well. It wont chisel so you'd have to buy another one for that if you do any chasing( it's not SDS, therfore has no rotostop) I would only buy powertools that I can take back the same day if there's a problem. How cheap can this be?!

Hi just came across this thread although its a little old I wonder if someone can advise me. I have to use a core drill to fit a fan in a flat where i can put the cover on from a window but drilling from a ladder is out of the question.( I know it should be anyway) Does anyone know how much mess of the wall they make if you drill from the inside out or will the vent cover up any splinterings. Anyones experiences would be appreciated.

Shouldnt make too much mess, Use a hole saw bit to get through your plaster then once on the brick use your core drill. Always drill inside out anyway.

Reply to Core Drill for Bathroom / Kitchen Fans in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock