Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Coronavirus - Keeping it light :-) in the COViD-19 / Coronavirus Community Help Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Our UK place is rustic flint and the Honey Bees love the holes in the flints to store their honey, but the robber bees are very vigilant waiting for them to leave the store.

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
"Dad, can you pop over here and stick up these new ceiling lights I got from Argos?"
Me: "No!"

After further discussion, she is getting rid of 2 plastic pendants and replacing them with two 3-spot fittings, circular metal thingies. Oh joy...what will i find?

ceiling rose 1.jpg

Well, that's a good start...
Nowhere to "park" the cpc in the rose, but maybe...just maybe they didn't cut it off above the ceiling?

ceiling rose 2.jpg

Oh well, better than I expected! I wonder if it's connected at the CU? I'll let you know.

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I guess it was just a slip that the installer cut the blue wire to the pendant and took the obvious alternative route...but a wee bit of blue tape would've been nice, albeit the situation is perfectly clear. However, a short length of new flex would have been a better solution. The brown wire has its insulation "nicked" too, though it's not that clear in the photo.

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I guess it was just a slip that the installer cut the blue wire to the pendant and took the obvious alternative route...but a wee bit of blue tape would've been nice, albeit the situation is perfectly clear. However, a short length of new flex would have been a better solution. The brown wire has its insulation "nicked" too, though it's not that clear in the photo.
Been up there long enough that you have plausible deniability, I assume? 😉

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Plausible deniability or not, I've never been in there before, so it wisnae me, m'lud!

here's a pic of the new fitting, and it's not bad, considering how awful some of them are.
ceiling rose 3.jpg

usual cpc to "tag" on base, into block and with a fly lead to the mounting bracket as well, taken from a bolt holding one of the lampholders. It's also a decent diameter, allowing a fair degree of positioning over the original rose position. TBH, not bad really.

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Nope, Tel...led GU10s, 100° beam angle, 5.5W...I've not had that wide beam angle before, just the usual 36 or 38° so I'm interested to see how they perform.

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Plausible deniability or not, I've never been in there before, so it wisnae me, m'lud!

here's a pic of the new fitting, and it's not bad, considering how awful some of them are.
View attachment 85540

usual cpc to "tag" on base, into block and with a fly lead to the mounting bracket as well, taken from a bolt holding one of the lampholders. It's also a decent diameter, allowing a fair degree of positioning over the original rose position. TBH, not bad really.
Yep - seen a lot worse - with smaller 'roses' that style of terminal blocks is often unusable, since the existing cable is too short to reach far enough away from the ceiling to connect to the terminals with a screwdriver.... So you end up adding tails and not enough space in the rose for existing cables, so end up hacking the ceiling out to fit a wago lite or similar in there...grrr

Wish these light fittings would switch over to quick fit terminals, cost would likely be pennies these days if that.

Reply to Coronavirus - Keeping it light :-) in the COViD-19 / Coronavirus Community Help Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net