Discuss Correct transformer for 12V waste water Pump. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently bought a 12V Whale Gulper 220 waste water pump to remove water from a shower on the groundfloor of my house in Germany (no way to gravity empty the bath/shower.)
I am after advice on if I have the correct 240V AC to 12V DC transformer.
The pump is a diapragm pump and the instructions state the following:
Voltage 12 V
Recomended fuse size: 5Amp automotive (supplied and fitted)
Dry running Current: 2.4A
Current draw: 3.5A

The transformer I fitted is described as the following
Waterproof LED supply
Model 12V60W IP67
Input AC 100-240V, 47-63Hz, AC 1.67-0.56A

Output DC 12V +/- 5%, DC 5A, 60W.

The pump works but only runs at 2 L/min when it should run at 10+ L/min. I am fairly confident the pipework is not an issue. (no blockages, pipes big enough etc)

Before I go back to the manufacturers and complain could someone tell me if my transformer is likely to be correct or if I am missing something.

Many thanks for any help,

Duffielddan

I would hazard a guess that you have an incorrectly sized transformer, does the information on the actual pump not tell you what power supply is needed?

Have you measured the open circuit of the transformer, if it is 12v with no load it maybe suffering volt drop. If it functions correctly on a car battery this is probably the case.

Are the wires between the transformer and pump , long and getting warm ?

(Do you know others using same pump - or could Statistics be optimistic .)
(also check pump is 12V model )

Last edited:
Out of interest, why didn't you buy the transformer from the same vendor as the pump? Surely this is the ideal approach...................

Found some instructions saying some models , to lift water over 1m obstruction , syphon action so may be wrong for you application .

Out of interest, why didn't you buy the transformer from the same vendor as the pump? Surely this is the ideal approach...................
These are generally marine pumps which do operate from batteries.

From your description the power supply you have should operate the pump successfully.
If the pump has a damaged diaphragm or seals then the flow rate can be very low.
If you are trying to pump over 1m in height then the pump will be slow or stop.
If the pump is trying to lift the water to the inlet then it will not work effectively.
Because the power supply is not cutting out, which is what I would expect if it were overloaded, I would suspect that there is a problem with the pump or out flow route.

I would hazard a guess that you have an incorrectly sized transformer, does the information on the actual pump not tell you what power supply is needed?

Thanks Pete999,
The pump is mostly used in a marine application although can also be used for household bathrooms where no gravity fed waste pipe is available. Very little information therefore on supply requirements

Hi static zap. Wires are very short, less than 20cm and haven't noticed any heating. I have read about the pump on forums and seems that it should work. Pump actually claims up to 14 L/min but I am guessing that this is optimistic but less than 2 is a long way off.

Hi static zap. Wires are very short, less than 20cm and haven't noticed any heating. I have read about the pump on forums and seems that it should work. Pump actually claims up to 14 L/min but I am guessing that this is optimistic but less than 2 is a long way off.

Hi Murdoch,

They do have a transformer but it is expensive and has many functions that I don't need. automatic start and cut off etc. I simply want to manually switch the pump on and off when used.

Hi Murdoch,

They do have a transformer but it is expensive and has many functions that I don't need. automatic start and cut off etc. I simply want to manually
From your description the power supply you have should operate the pump successfully.

If the pump has a damaged diaphragm or seals then the flow rate can be very low.
If you are trying to pump over 1m in height then the pump will be slow or stop.
If the pump is trying to lift the water to the inlet then it will not work effectively.
Because the power supply is not cutting out, which is what I would expect if it were overloaded, I would suspect that there is a problem with the pump or out flow route.

switch the pump on and off when used.

Reply to Correct transformer for 12V waste water Pump. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net