Discuss Cost for 5 downlights guys in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sys3

-
Reaction score
Hi, just popped over from the Plumbers Forum and would appreciate some advice. I'm preparing a bathroom quotation that includes wiring up 5 12v chrome downlights with supply taken from existing ceiling rose fitting.

I'm drilling and fitting the downlights into PVC ceiling cladding and supplying the transformers and bulbs, so the spark needs to wire and connect everything up.

How much approximately for wiring 5 downlights so I can get my quote posted. My usual spark is in Ibiza and this is getting urgent!

and what if there's no RCD???????

i would never quote without seeing when it's unknown what's required. Oldtimer's in Edinburgh, maybe he can help out.

Seems a bit cheap, would have thought more £30 a light, supply, fit and test. Thats assuming all other circuits in the bathroom have rcd protection and/or earthing is correct. Sparks do like to buy food now and again.

80 notes seems very cheap who knows what condition original cable is in, how it is wired, if it needs replacing cosmetic damage occured, as many houses don't have rcd's is one needed.
too many reasons to do the job and get nothing back.
get a quote off an electrician that can see the job himself is my advice.
would a plummer give a quote without knowing size of property etc?

I have a quote done today for 4 D/L.

New C/U was done last week.

Quoting for LED IP rated downlights, obviously you are paying for these so allow accordingly.....
Cost for 5 downlights guys {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Cost for 5 downlights guys jpg090 - EletriciansForums.net
    jpg090.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 125
You need to get a spark to look at it, if the circuit has no RCD, then one is fitted and it keeps tripping/doesnt pass testing, circuit needs rewiring then you are talking a few more pennies then £80 quid, that would be coming out of your pocket for not qouting correctly too remember!!!
If all is ok sticking 5 lights up (you supplied) it may be enough.

Have installed ELV spots into a bathroom before, only for the ceiling to be redone in that PVC stuff at a later date. I have been back to do other stuff since and its started to melt already, in roughly 12 months.

Would never even contemplate fitting anything other than LEDs in that sort of cladding. Scrop the ELV idea and go for mains LEDs.

Also to the OP, is there main bonding? RCD to lighting? Electric shower installed?

Reply to Cost for 5 downlights guys in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock