Discuss Cost for new kitchen ring, 4 sockets, replace fusebox with RCD and gas/water bonding. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davodesign84

Hi all,

I am having my kitchen done and it came out that following 17th edition regs I now need to replace the fusebox with RCD, new kitchen ring, and gas/water bonding.

I only needed 4 new sockets for the new appliances and the other work was not quoted. I understand it is a lot of work and material so I am ok to pay some extra but how much would it be fair to charge for this work? If that can be a factor I live in London.

Thank you very much in advance.

Davide

Re: Cost for new kitchen ring, 4 sockets, replace fusebox with RCD and gas/water bond

All depending on.......
Genuinley you should not pay more than £450 to change DB including materials inclusive of meter tails
how far your kitchen is from the board, health of existing cables from the board to the kitchen and if this can be used for supply legs for your new ring.
i think you should be able to from anything between £700 and a £1000 inculding certs, but could not expand on that more without seeing it.

Re: Cost for new kitchen ring, 4 sockets, replace fusebox with RCD and gas/water bond

right.....for a start the regs arn`t retrospective.....the electrician doing the work only needs to comply with the current edition of BS7671 for his work....so he could just supply an add on board with RCD to cover finals he installs within the kitchen......gas & water bonds should be upgraded to comply with the 17th (1st)...
see i dont live in london but i would be saying about £35-£40 per point....then theres the add on board and bonding....the earthing may need upgrading as well....so factor this in...

Hi all,

I am having my kitchen done and it came out that following 17th edition regs I now need to replace the fusebox with RCD, new kitchen ring, and gas/water bonding.

I only needed 4 new sockets for the new appliances and the other work was not quoted. I understand it is a lot of work and material so I am ok to pay some extra but how much would it be fair to charge for this work? If that can be a factor I live in London.

Davide

How old is your property? is it a flat, house, maisonette? Do you have off street parking, is parking easy and close by?

Tricky to be precise but I'd suggest you get a couple of quotes/estimates to compare with the kitchen fitters pricing.

And make sure the electrician/kitchen fitter is part p registered. As if the kitchen fitter is doing it and he only has one of those defined scope certificates then he isnt qualified for a board change

And make sure the electrician/kitchen fitter is part p registered. As if the kitchen fitter is doing it and he only has one of those defined scope certificates then he isnt qualified for a board change
aye...lol....or `barry bathroom fitter`.....the kitchen fitters mate...lol..

Hi all,

Davide

About the same price as a second hand Ford Fiesta.

Reply to Cost for new kitchen ring, 4 sockets, replace fusebox with RCD and gas/water bonding. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net