Discuss Cost of a rewire? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got my first rewire job that isn't a simple socket or something or other, and was hoping someone would give me some guidance.

The job is a rewire of the kitchen, living & dining room and hallway, along with changing the distribution board.

I'm not sure how many switches and sockets there are of yet, but how does that change the price?

Also, what would an electrical tester generally charge to come out, test the rewire and issue a certificate?

And lastly, I'm changing the distribution board, so will I need to notify the electrical board?

Are you able to notify work through a scheme you are a member of ?

Why would you need someone to test the work ? you should be capable of this yourself if undertaking the work.

Yes the number of points has a bearing on the cost. How could you price per room if you don't know the amount of work and materials involved ?

Have you assessed the system for suitability for the alteration ? Does this entail any extra work and cost ?

Honestly it's like one of those how long is a piece of string questions. It really requires a site visit I wouldn't want to make an estimate but yes the amount of sockets etc would effect the price as most charge per point. Even the brand of the consumer unit can make a difference.

Are you able to notify work through a scheme you are a member of ?

Why would you need someone to test the work ? you should be capable of this yourself if undertaking the work.

Yes the number of points has a bearing on the cost. How could you price per room if you don't know the amount of work and materials involved ?

Have you assessed the system for suitability for the alteration ? Does this entail any extra work and cost ?

I'll be checking out the job tomorrow in full detail to ensure this is all possible, alongside getting all the socket & switch counts, etc...

I can test it myself, no problem. However I don't have a testing & inspecting qualification, so I cannot complete the certificate legitimately, so I was going to hire someone, but I was course what the cost would run me.

Honestly it's like one of those how long is a piece of string questions. It really requires a site visit I wouldn't want to make an estimate but yes the amount of sockets etc would effect the price as most charge per point. Even the brand of the consumer unit can make a difference.

Sure. Maybe I should have posted this up once I have more details about the job. Which I will do tomorrow morning.

Good luck in getting someone to sign your work off..

This shouldn't be a problem. I know some sparks who I've worked with whom have their testing and inspecting.

Why do you say this though? Do you not think they will sign it off if I haven't needed them for the job itself?

You need to involve your tame electrician from day 1. He/she will have to certify that THEY designed, installed and tested the installation. Also, THEY will have to notify the works to their CPS who then does the legal but with the local authority.

With respect, your post tells me that you don’t have a scooby. There is no “electrical board” any more. Notification is done with the LABC.

You need to involve your tame electrician from day 1. He/she will have to certify that THEY designed, installed and tested the installation. Also, THEY will have to notify the works to their CPS who then does the legal but with the local authority.

With respect, your post tells me that you don’t have a scooby. There is no “electrical board” any more. Notification is done with the LABC.

I appreciate your honesty. I know how to wire and I know how to test. Although the electrician I've previously worked with has never explained this to me and I've worked with him on a bunch of rewires!

What do you suggest I do?

I appreciate your honesty. I know how to wire and I know how to test. Although the electrician I've previously worked with has never explained this to me and I've worked with him on a bunch of rewires!

What do you suggest I do?
With respect, it sounds like you are very inexperienced. You may be a very competent spark up to a certain level (I cannot comment) but getting this wrong could be costly.

As the folks have already suggested, it would probably be a good idea to work with an experienced sparky on this and see if he/she is willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.There is more involved than just pulling a few cables in, chasing in a few boxes and making off the odd accessory. The install requires designing, inspecting & testing, notified and everything verified in conjunction with the current regs.

As above, if you have worked with a local spark who can do the paperwork etc.
Involve him from day 1 ,
He might only pop in to the job a couple of times to deal with issues and point you in the right direction at times.
Do the testing and cert together, you will learn a lot.

Also, if you are working in the same area, be careful, how do you know that he hasn’t quoted the job himself and been undercut by yourself?

With respect, it sounds like you are very inexperienced. You may be a very competent spark up to a certain level (I cannot comment) but getting this wrong could be costly.

As the folks have already suggested, it would probably be a good idea to work with an experienced sparky on this and see if he/she is willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.There is more involved than just pulling a few cables in, chasing in a few boxes and making off the odd accessory. The install requires designing, inspecting & testing, notified and everything verified in conjunction with the current regs.

Just my two bobs worth to second this,

I remember my first rewire, underestimated the difficulties and made a hash of it, it was by tapping into the experience of a much more experienced guy that got me out of a mess, you cant put a value on the guidance and advice you get from another experienced sparky when you first start off, just see it as an opportunity to advance onwards and upwards :)

I think my first 3 or 4 full re-wires I well under sold myself as I was a bit green and wanted to come across competitive priced to get a good rep....
My very first full re-wire I priced was an old 3 bed council house (occupied) but he people were quite good about mess and disruption.
I think I ended up paying myself about £50 a day tops iirc.
I remember my next few re-wires i charge a day rate of £100 + materials.
Then i got wind that fellow domestic guys im my area were charging £170-£180 a day so i slowly increased my rates...

The first house rewire that I did on my own was in 1982 aged 23. The house was empty with no caperting. 3 x RFCs, 2 x lighting circuits, and three other circuits for cooker, shower and central heating. Fortunately, I already had gained experience of rewiring while serving my apprenticeship, and this served me well.

With so many changes to the regulations having been introduced since 1983, rewiring work is much more of a challenge today than it was back then. In view of this, I would endorse the advice of all the other forum members who have suggested that you work alongside an experienced electrician on this project. You'll be better for the experience, I promise! Good luck.:)

I remember a standard re-wire back in the 1990s had one TV cable run to behind the Front room TV position just poking out the wall and then the other end coiled up in the loft for the aerial guy.
Nowadays wiring the data , tv , phones , alarms , speakers , audio and smart wiring is like a job in itself.
I know firms in my local area who provide the complete service where a re-wire can come out to £50,000.
Insane really if you ask me...
Not to mention multiple car charging points , they soon add up...

I remember a standard re-wire back in the 1990s had one TV cable run to behind the Front room TV position just poking out the wall and then the other end coiled up in the loft for the aerial guy.
Nowadays wiring the data , tv , phones , alarms , speakers , audio and smart wiring is like a job in itself.
I know firms in my local area who provide the complete service where a re-wire can come out to £50,000.
Insane really if you ask me...
Not to mention multiple car charging points , they soon add up...
£50K Get much work do you????

Not me , I don't have the time , the enthusiasm or man power to spend 4 to 5 months on a complex 'posh house' re-wire.
These lighting designed 'Smart lighting systems' can reach the £10,000 mark very quickly.
Throw in all your power , data , tv and audio and these kind of upper market jobs rack up real quick. I have subbied on jobs where all the cable and lighting fittings alone came to £14K , then another £3-4K on posh Forbes and Lomax Brass sockets and switches. Its insane , but the market is there...

I’ve had a few rewires/refurb jobs that have come close to that figure...smart controlled lighting/RAKO, blind automation, mood lighting, fire alarm, intruder, cctv, panic room, PV, car chargers, Ground source heat pump, multiple out buildings, car stacker, out side lighting, AV, Data, sprinkler system, swim spar, lift, cinema room and so on.....Soon starts to add up. I had one job that had a room dedicated to Lutron and they spent 400k having a tunnel built from the house to the swimming pool building.

I’ve had a few rewires/refurb jobs that have come close to that figure...smart controlled lighting/RAKO, blind automation, mood lighting, fire alarm, intruder, cctv, panic room, PV, car chargers, Ground source heat pump, multiple out buildings, car stacker, out side lighting, AV, Data, sprinkler system, swim spar, lift, cinema room and so on.....Soon starts to add up. I had one job that had a room dedicated to Lutron and they spent 400k having a tunnel built from the house to the swimming pool building.
Fraid I live in the real world Mate, where Joe public wants his 3 up 2 down rewired, not some overpaid celeb with more money than sense want's their knocking shop rewired , as lucrative as it may be.

Fraid I live in the real world Mate, where Joe public wants his 3 up 2 down rewired, not some overpaid celeb with more money than sense want's their knocking shop rewired , as lucrative as it may be.
knocking shop ....?

Reply to Cost of a rewire? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock