Discuss Cost/Requirements to complete my training?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post as this looks like a great forum - I have a few questions.

I semi completed my training a few years ago but lack of funds and personnel circumstances meant it had to be shelved and landed in work in random field sevice roles - mainly pa testing.

I completed my C&G 2330 Level 3 in 2008 - I became 17th edition trained but due to the start date of the cource I am only certified to 16th edition. (So yes I know I need to do an update cource here).

Then I completed the C&G 2392 cource in 2009 in antisipation of progressing to 2391 but this was where things had to be put to one side.

Well now I am ready to get back in the saddle and would like to know what specific cources/cource numbers I need to now complete to eventually achieve Part P status??

I have (I feel) accepteble site expearience but just mainly in domestic, I can wire a house with my eyes shut and not shy away from the likes of swa's, three way intermediate switching, conduit work, inspection and testing procedures etc, and have been electricians mate a few times also.

I would also be great if I have the answers to these quesrions...
Is it manditory to complete an NVQ portfolio with an already qualified electrician on site?
And would anyone be able to tell me roughly how much I will need to spend to achieve part p status?
Also is it worth holding out till the next amendment in January before doing the 17th update cource?

My names Jamie and I am from Romsey in Hampshire and looking forward to disgussions on this forum.
I am aready very impressed by some of the threads on here.

Best regards

Jamie.

Phew. lets have a go.

If you have the 2330 level 3 qualification is it still valid, i think it was replaced by 2357, but the wheel wasn't reinvented. Upskilling to 17th edition is wise, and yes do it after January 2015 and make sure you sit the new 2382-15 exam not the current 2382-12 exam.

You have the 2392, fine, the 2391 has gone and it is now 2394 and 2395, both worth having.

You have experience and relevant qualifications, you don't need to do a NVQ3, this is only the same as 2330, so you are OK there,
Hope this sheds a bit of light on things for you.

To get part P registered will cost you about £600 registration feee with the scheme of your choice, and you will have to have all the test kit, insurances etc etc, that will pst what it costs. DONT get duped into a Part P course, they are worthless, Part P is a building reg, and compliance with BS7671 will meet building regs, but do buy the IET electricians guide to the building regs, it looks similar to the OSG.

Cheers...............Howard

Sorry, the 2330 is not NVQ3. 2330 was the tech cert and the underpinning knowledge for the 2356-31 NVQ3. This has been replaced 2365 is the tech cert and can be put toward the 2357 NVQ3 or the 2357 can be taken standalone as an apprentice. They have also brought back the 2356 NVQ3 as the 2356-99 for experienced workers who hold 2330 or 2360 quals and want an NVQ3 for ECS card etc.

Sorry, the 2330 is not NVQ3. 2330 was the tech cert and the underpinning knowledge for the 2356-31 NVQ3. This has been replaced 2365 is the tech cert and can be put toward the 2357 NVQ3 or the 2357 can be taken standalone as an apprentice. They have also brought back the 2356 NVQ3 as the 2356-99 for experienced workers who hold 2330 or 2360 quals and want an NVQ3 for ECS card etc.
he doesnt need the 2365 tech cert he has 2330

all he needs is the bridging course using his tech certs simples.

i know because i did 2330 then started the 2357 when the 2330 had already started to be phased out, the only units he will have to do are ones not in his course

which will be the enviromental unit

2357nvq diploma = (2330 tech cert + 2356 nvq)

Wow great feedback guys thanks.

So... just to clarify things, to make myself a "competant" person for Part P status (Correct me if go wrong)...

I need to check my 2330 is still valid, if not valid I require doing the 2357 cource.
Once above is done I do the 2382-15 17th update cource (After Januarys new amendment).
Then complete the 2394 and 2395 assessements.
(All of the above subject to future amendments).

If this correct to achieve minimum requirements for Part P status.

Appreciate you input SirKit Breaker, TJ Anderson and Shanky887614.

Regards

Jamie

Reply to Cost/Requirements to complete my training?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net