Discuss Cost to change a fuseboard. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wondering what everybody is charging these days for a board change? I've got a customer who wants theirs changed, all of it apart from the lighting is already rcd protected so hopefully no nasty surprises.

I'm going to install a split load RCD board (probably Fusebox if supplier has them in) with 8 circuits, nothing unusual, shower, cooker, couple of ring mains, immersion and a couple of lighting circuits.

I'll be providing all materials and labour.

I will do a full eicr afterwards.

Only a local job, a lovely chap who I've done a few jobs for so I don't want to by any means rip him off.

I had in mind £400 but a mate of mine has told me I'm too cheap. Let me know what you think guys. Cheers.

I'm going to install a split load RCD board (probably Fusebox if supplier has them in) with 8 circuits, nothing unusual, shower, cooker, couple of ring mains, immersion and a couple of lighting circuits.
I'm not totally opposed to dual rcd boards but I'd explain to the customer the value of an RCBO board, and see if they want to trump up the extra. I find that if you point out how many years the last one was in service, and how many years this new one will be, the extra cost over the lifetime of the new board is barely worth worrying about.
Do enough testing before to ensure you won't run into problems, especially IR tests!
As you'll have to do EIC and LABC notification anyway, the full EICR should in my mind be a separate work item afterwards with it's own price.

I charged around your price for a mates rates job, but not including the Lewden CU with SPD, 9 RCBO's, blanks, tails gland, flexi tails kit etc. So if you are throwing the materials in that is exceptionally reasonable. (My job in question was a one-off in Coventry so not far away)

North of £680.00 otherwise bin the Job.
And Do all testing before to "get it all out in the open " Otherwise every man and his dog will think you have messed up when there is a issue

Hi guys. Just wondering what everybody is charging these days for a board change? I've got a customer who wants theirs changed, all of it apart from the lighting is already rcd protected so hopefully no nasty surprises.

I'll be providing all materials and labour.

Only a local job, a lovely chap who I've done a few jobs for so I don't want to by any means rip him off.

I had in mind £400 but a mate of mine has told me I'm too cheap. Let me know what you think guys. Cheers.
Is that £400 for Labour or including materials.

If its all in, how do you make any money, even then you're too cheap. Remember it's a fairly long day as you're still working at home finalising certificates

I would say for a split load as tel says £100 for a db.
Tails, henleys or an isolator and some earth £40
Test dependant on amount of circuits, if it's 10 @ £20 a circuit there is another £200
Then Labour a day at £280
Bit of office time to type up test £40
£660 all in for me or there abouts!
If your in Warwick add £100 on just cos it's Warwick 😄😄

Always full test before fitting new CU,or your 1 day to fit a board could turn into two days trying to stop it tripping...Also full rcbo board with spd cuts down on earth leakage problems tripping one whole side of a board

These days, and especially if you only have 5-8 circuits or so, the cost difference for something like the Fusebox all-RCBO & SPD board is negligible compared to the skilled labour for installation & testing. But the reduction in possible future problems quite worthwhile.

Reply to Cost to change a fuseboard. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net