Discuss Cost to replace circuit breaker fuse box - advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mcgin85

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice, I am clueless with this sort of thing. I have an electrical shower running from a fuse box that has circuit breakers. Other the the shower, other things that run from the same box are the amercer and an electrical fire.
Last week when using the shower the fuse blew, I replaced it with a new 30amp fuse and all worked well again. This morning the shower went again and this time the breaker for the shower was really really warm and there was a burning smell.
I have an electrician coming out to have a look this afternoon and he mentions that the box may have to be replaced but he will have to have a look 1st. I don't expect that to be cheap so I'm simply trying to see roughly how much something like that would cost to ensure I don't get over charged. Also do you think it sounds like the box would have to be replaced?
To describe the box, it has 6 breakers in it. 5x 15 amp and 1x30amp (the shower) only 3 of the breakers are in use.

Any help would be much appreciated

Martin

What you have described sounds like a fault on the shower circuit, to remedy this a DB change is highly unlikely.

Hopefully the electrician you have contacted will carry out IR and a earth loop test, then move onto looking for a loose connection. Now I know alot of that you wont understand but it is what is most likely causing your fuse to blow.

Now if your DB is swapped then I would be asking the electrician who says it needs doing that he be liable for any futher works to the shower circuit should the fault still not be clear, which would also indicate that it wasnt needed in the first instance.

Cost of such work both the fault finding and the replacement of you DB (if needed) are area specific so hopefully someone from your area will be along and give you a guide.

Thanks Dillb, appreciate you taking time to respond. You're right I have no idea what that means but I hope your right as doesn't sound as expensive haha

The spark who is coming has said he will have to look first which is fair enough! Once he has been you can still get further advice quotes if you are not happy with what you have been told but as Dillb has rightly pointed out the shower cct needs testing to locate the fault and that could be a few things ! Let us know the outcome!

Fault finding shouldn't be too expensive. Before the sparks start I would talk to him with regards this asking what his hourly rate is, what time scale he thinks it might take.

Let him know if you have a budget in mind but don't tell him how much so they can communicate to you what they have/haven't found. This will also help you budget the job too. But dont expect them to only take half a hour to find the fault, as it may take a hour it may take most of the day.

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a bit of advice, I am clueless with this sort of thing. I have an electrical shower running from a fuse box that has circuit breakers. Other the the shower, other things that run from the same box are the amercer and an electrical fire.
Last week when using the shower the fuse blew, I replaced it with a new 30amp fuse and all worked well again. This morning the shower went again and this time the breaker for the shower was really really warm and there was a burning smell.
I have an electrician coming out to have a look this afternoon and he mentions that the box may have to be replaced but he will have to have a look 1st. I don't expect that to be cheap so I'm simply trying to see roughly how much something like that would cost to ensure I don't get over charged. Also do you think it sounds like the box would have to be replaced?
To describe the box, it has 6 breakers in it. 5x 15 amp and 1x30amp (the shower) only 3 of the breakers are in use.

Any help would be much appreciated

Martin

And what the hell is this

I've seen loads of amercers causing problems. I'd fit a new one. Daz

Guy has just been out and said it's not as bad as he 1st thought. He's away to source a new breaker as he says my box is pretty old and no one uses my type anymore. Will charge me £45-50 for the job. He does think that it will go again at some point and I should consider having a new box installed in the coming months, he will do it for £250 including parts and labour.
Dillb and Tony thanks for your replies.
Ian, as Thomas said I did mean immersion, but if you want to be funny regarding spelling or grammar then you should never start a sentence with 'And' and since you asked a question you should be using these little things ?????? at the end. Plus I'm sure these forums aren't here for spam posts like that.

Cheers

Guy has just been out and said it's not as bad as he 1st thought. He's away to source a new breaker as he says my box is pretty old and no one uses my type anymore. Will charge me £45-50 for the job. He does think that it will go again at some point and I should consider having a new box installed in the coming months, he will do it for £250 including parts and labour.
Dillb and Tony thanks for your replies.
Ian, as Thomas said I did mean immersion, but if you want to be funny regarding spelling or grammar then you should never start a sentence with 'And' and since you asked a question you should be using these little things ?????? at the end. Plus I'm sure these forums aren't here for spam posts like that.

Cheers
Sense of humour bypass ??? Daz

Did the guy test the shower circuit, like Dibbl says in post 2. If so he should have some readings. Sounds strange that he should say "that it will go again at some point and I should consider having a new box installed in the coming months"...

Spoon - he didn't test anything, he took the cover off the box and said were the shower breaker was, was all burnt out. Which was visable. He also said the breaker wasn't a tight fit and was loose. He was able to shake it about, slightly, and none of the other breakers done that, said that could have been part of the issue. Should I ask him to do tests too when he returns?
Find it hard to question the guy when I don't know anything regarding the subject and he is showing me things thats wrong. Plus didn't think he was at it as thought he may have said the box needed replaced right now

I would've been looking for him to carry out an Insulation Resistance Test and continuity Test before he came to the conclusion the only thing at fault was the Fuse. The reason it may 'go again' is because he hasn't confirmed the rest of the Installation is ok. Seems he has fixed the problem but not found the cause.

When he comes back, if he does no testing with a meter or tells you it doesn't need any testing, show him the door with no money. As has been said, after 2 visits he should have tested the circuit, not just diagnosed faults on a visual basis.
It should not "go again" if installed and tested properly. Sounds like bad advice from someone who doesn't really know what they are doing.

Mmmm £45 quid for a "fuse" and maybe it,ll need a new CU, More likely a new CU, shower cable upgrade, DP Isolator,plus all the usuall stuff you find on a CU change, thats why we spend at least 3 hours testing various circuits around the house to give us a "feel" for the job,
Pict

Nice to see everyone sticking up for the spark, at the end of the day the op doesnt no polarity from insulation resistance. If the op doesn't believe the spark is upto the job ( which there is absolutely no grounds for ) then they should get someone else in and stop undermining the guy and wasting his time. Everyone seems very quick to stick the boot in.

Reply to Cost to replace circuit breaker fuse box - advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net