Discuss Cost to replace the base pipe at the meter? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RPK621

-
Reaction score
I was just told by my electric company that I need to replace the base pipe at the meter. What kind of cost am I looking at to do this? My power is surging in and out. Unfortunately, I just had a massive basement emergency project that sucked up all my emergency funds so I will have to wait on this electrical work for a bit but I wanted to see what this would probably cost. Thanks!

photo would help. if it's conduit around the supply cables, it should be responsibility of the supplier. otherwise get the wire brush out and some hammerite.

Wake up everyone the O.P is from The USA.

Best pic I could find, "Base Pipe" will be the tube on the left protecting the Meter tails to the Consumer unit / MCB Board.

In the U.S all Domestic meters are outside and must be visible / accessible from the front of the property.

Cost to replace the base pipe at the meter? meter-base-torn-from-house - EletriciansForums.net

Thought it was called con-do-it in America

Now it’s a base pipe

Are they rewriting the entire technical manual

They said there is excessive rust at the meter base. Sorry about the “base pipe” term. That made no sense. My bad! Haha
most american terms make no sense either. :p:p:p

Is this a non-American forum? I’m sorry if it is and didn’t realize it. I am posting some images just in case though.

photo would help. if it's conduit around the supply cables, it should be responsibility of the supplier. otherwise get the wire brush out and some hammerite.

I have no idea. I haven’t seen it yet. I am not an electrician or knowledgeable in this area at all so I wouldn’t want to attempt anything that had to do with electricity without knowing exaxrly what I was doing. I am hoping it’s not a massive job or cost.Cost to replace the base pipe at the meter? 3D80126C-73A0-47E4-B581-F08D25CB6862 - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? F5BF8592-74C3-4088-B3B5-5F3926EB460B - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? F7DC2B59-B4AE-4271-A23B-1FBDB04F9750 - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? 3D80126C-73A0-47E4-B581-F08D25CB6862 - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? F5BF8592-74C3-4088-B3B5-5F3926EB460B - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? F7DC2B59-B4AE-4271-A23B-1FBDB04F9750 - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? 3D80126C-73A0-47E4-B581-F08D25CB6862 - EletriciansForums.netCost to replace the base pipe at the meter? F7DC2B59-B4AE-4271-A23B-1FBDB04F9750 - EletriciansForums.net

Here are a couple more pics.

Attachments

• Cost to replace the base pipe at the meter? 462D8043-1D56-405B-B53C-9FAA3860A28C - EletriciansForums.net
    462D8043-1D56-405B-B53C-9FAA3860A28C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Cost to replace the base pipe at the meter? 3F3619E9-E152-48B0-A393-E6F128FE8BDF - EletriciansForums.net
    3F3619E9-E152-48B0-A393-E6F128FE8BDF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
and it's no sweat, you being American. you do speak some form of English, anyway. :):):)

Here are a couple more pics.
It does look as though the pipe is Rusty, and seen better days, without being privy to the US rules regarding responsibility it's very difficult to comment.
After watching vieos of home owners getting US Electricians to replace these inlets up to the O/H lines, it would appear that it is the home owners responsibly, the cost, I don't know, get some quotes and deports from customers and make your own mind up, seems a fairly straight forward job, half a day $200 plus bits and pieces, tin hat on.

I reckon you'd be best placed on posting in an American electricians forum, the electrickery over here is installed bit different, and this being a UK based forum, we would not be able to safely advice.

I would not show anymore pics of your metal pipe etc, as telectrix being a rudimentary Scouser (Goggle that), is likely to book a flight to the US, and pinch all your rusty pipe & copper cables. :)

spel
I reckon you'd be best placed on posting in an American electricians forum, the electrickery over here is installed bit different, and this being a UK based forum, we would not be able to safely advice.

I would not show anymore pics of your metal pipe etc, as telectrix being a rudimentary Scouser (Goggle that), is likely to book a flight to the US, and pinch all your rusty pipe & copper cables. :)
spelt Scouser right, 10/10, but Goggle????? you a secret Biggles???

Reply to Cost to replace the base pipe at the meter? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock