Discuss Could be getting sacked, got pictures, please advise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davrejonas

Got called into to work today for a meeting, this was a first fix on a kitchen, had to do 2 that day and didnt get in the first till gone 11.30 so was rushing like mad, manager came in took some pictures and has gave us the following list, we had previously been told not to have more than one row of capping as outside zones so cables were bunched up, we were going like 100 miles an hour

pictures should be viewable at ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
pic 1 fixing screw directly through capping causing burrs, any pressure put on wall on wall like tiles could result in breakdown of insulation and cables shorting out
cables ran with no protection against plastering trowel
evidence of sheathing being hammered to get into flat position pressure faults could happen
10mm earth cable stretched between box potential break down of continuity
pic 2 screw through capping i pre drilled this the opposite side to avoid sharps, you can see on pic
pic 3 wiring not protected
wiring crossed over causing potential pressure fault
cable held in position by screw,,,,,this was a wedge, i know its not great but not tight against cable
pic 4 screw through capping, no capping to protect cables crossed over,,, cable held in position by screw,,,,,,,this was a capping wedge then capping cut short
pic 5 cable no protection, chases very untidy.....

would like to know your thoughts, really wanna have a good argument for them tomorrow as got kids and cant afford to be dismissed, i know the screw wedge is bad but i think the rest are kinda just being picky

no wind up, we had to do that day so like a said, we were rushing

- - - Updated - - -

i meant to say 2

HA sorry mate but it looks like complete cr4p! Given 2 a day is no excuse for installing that rubbish. You should of refused to rush. i wouldnt pay a penny for that work im afraid

I'd rather have done a couple of extra hours on the job mate and used it as a bargaining tool for a buckshee morning off.
Good luck for the meeting

I'm intrigued as to why anyone would post a pic of such a pigs ear of a job unless they are having a Steffi Graff......if this is real do you really expect the pro's on here to say "Well....nothing wrong with that really.....you might get the tin tack?...OMG....what an injustice!"

OMG.....rushing or not, that is totally unacceptable, I've seen far better DIY jobs than that. Sorry....but if I saw work like that, I'd sack someone...(if I had that kind of authority!).

I'm intrigued as to why anyone would post a pic of such a pigs ear of a job unless they are having a Steffi Graff......if this is real do you really expect the pro's on here to say "Well....nothing wrong with that really.....you might get the tin tack?...OMG....what an injustice!"

If he is'nt he's got no defence has he? Frightening to think what has been left in their wake. Speechless that he thinks it's defendable.

Im not usually one to kick a man while hes down but to be honest its a total shambles, if i had an apprentice doing that level of work id would also be putting an add in the local rag for a new one, i understand you have time restraints but if you did the job correctly first time with possible a few hours extra input then you could have shown willing to ensure good job done even with time start issues, all bosses like to keep you on your toes with with unreasonable targets and im sure if 1130 start was out of your control they would give lee-way if you couldn't achieve the target..... your only defense here is the late start but it really is little argument for the poor quality of work.
To note though capping is designed to protect from plasterers so highly recommended on bare walls but chases dont usually put cables at risk in this way and clipping would have sufficed as long as chases are not wider than a plaster trowel. This is a individual preference so if you company, clark of works, council etc specify it then it needs capping.

If you have had a clean slate so far you should only be getting a verbal warning if they are going by the books unless your on trial period then it may be the worse.... this is why a 3- 4 yrs apprenticeship is vital (education + on-site), no qualified electrician should be doing work on that level - correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Sorry for the harshness but you wont learn anything if people soften their opinion. Good-luck though and welcome to the forum.

No wonder I'm struggling to make this game pay. I'm constantly being told I'm too expensive - if this is the sort of cheap rubbish work I'm up against then I guess I must be.

I'm not sure who's actually at fault here though. You, for thinking this is an acceptable standard, or the company for putting you under so much pressure you're forced to do work like that. Or maybe some of both.

Apologies if my post comes over as harsh or offends in anyway but after looking at the pics i've gotta say thats some of the worst install pics i've seen for a long time now.

Rushed or not there's no excuse for such work EVER by anyone. Tbh if i'd have been shown such pics anywhere but here i'd say they was done by someone who has had next to no training and has next to no respect for Electricity or the Electrical trade in general.

Hopefully it's as been said before.......gotta be a wind up......if not i'd honestly say stick to kitchen fitting and leave electrical install's alone, no matter what paperwork you might hold from a scam company (if any paperwork is held at all of course).

What makes me think the OP will not come back to comment but to be fair this is what we have all been shouting about poor training poor policing of the trade and a company management set up that likes to abuse the individual. So after all of that I would advise the OP to take it on the chin and say to himself can and will do better next time and for the people who thinks some of the above posts are a bit harsh well listen these guys served their time with guys who would not accept that type of work hence raising the standards because without them we would be no better than some of the east europeans who are here for a quick buck

Reply to Could be getting sacked, got pictures, please advise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock