Discuss Could I ask if you could help explain the comments re a Domestic ElCR report that has come back unsatisfactory please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Boy, oh boy.

Interesting read. Put the wind up a lot of people, that.
Just read that. It makes me feel sick reading that ?
[automerge]1593650272[/automerge]
Just read that. It makes me feel sick reading that ?
Although I’m a t**t for consumer units And that’s my hobby ? reading that even makes me feel angry.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? Having just had a quick read through that paper I cant see a great deal of scaremongering, it simply states the reasons for an EICR and what and EICR is designed to identify. Neither can I see any reference to £99??

Am I missing something here? Having just had a quick read through that paper I cant see a great deal of scaremongering, it simply states the reasons for an EICR and what and EICR is designed to identify. Neither can I see any reference to £99??

Try this:

It said there was a fresh reply to this thread, but I can't see one

As its not an active topic to derail I want to ask a question. Even if there is no reason for an RCD at the time, upstairs flat, no requirement for buried cables at the time etc then it should be a C3 - improvement recommended. But I'm sure I've read somewhere that if its a rental flat then the tenant would just assume there is an RCD present and it will save their life when they do something stupid therefore a lack of RCD in a rental should be a C2 no matter what the circumstances.

A bit like mains smoke alarms in rentals should have lithium batteries when there is a credit meter because the tenant is more likely to spend money on cigs and booze instead of electric. I think they are stating that people that rent are a bit thick.

As its not an active topic to derail I want to ask a question. Even if there is no reason for an RCD at the time, upstairs flat, no requirement for buried cables at the time etc then it should be a C3 - improvement recommended. But I'm sure I've read somewhere that if its a rental flat then the tenant would just assume there is an RCD present and it will save their life when they do something stupid therefore a lack of RCD in a rental should be a C2 no matter what the circumstances.

A bit like mains smoke alarms in rentals should have lithium batteries when there is a credit meter because the tenant is more likely to spend money on cigs and booze instead of electric. I think they are stating that people that rent are a bit thick.

I've never seen a reg stating that a different code should be applied depending on whether the person pays rent or mortgage.

But I'm sure I've read somewhere that if its a rental flat then the tenant would just assume there is an RCD present and it will save their life when they do something stupid therefore a lack of RCD in a rental should be a C2 no matter what the circumstances.

This doesn't pass a common sense test, the average person has no clue what an RCD is or does so the idea that tenants are going to assume an RCD is there to save them makes no sense.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the earth is flat and Elvis is still alive, doesn't make it true or even believeable.

Last edited:
I've never seen a reg stating that a different code should be applied depending on whether the person pays rent or mortgage.
No, but in fairness if there is a perceived greater risk then the assessment of it might be different. Not sure that I'd agree in the circumstances outlined though.

the average person has no clue what an RCD is or does
Those that have heard of it think it's an annoying deice that switches off at the slightest hint of a fault, or occasionally for no reason at all, just to annoy.
I try to explain that, far from being fussy, they only trip at a fault level of around 100 times more severe than what is considered safe, but most still consider them an unnecessary nuisance.

While it is true that the risk to a person in contact with the installation is exactly the same irrespective of how they paid to get there, you could argue there is a difference between those taking a risk with their own lives (mortgage) versus those taking a risk with someone else's lives (landlord collecting rent). In the latter case a C2 code would effectively force them to address the situation.

Of course that is a bit outside of what an EICR ought to be doing which is making a realistic assessment of the risk versus today's practices, and there the indoor versus outdoor circuit, etc, is a far bigger aspect!

I saw something similar saying @Mike Johnson had responded to another thread, but when I looked there was nothing. Happened twice!

So I'm guessing dodgy software is behind it...
Yea this is strange I received an email asking me to explain my comments from 3 years ago??? I’ve had a look back and the link has changed from then I’m sure it looks more professional now 😂 still makes me feel sick 🤢

It's quite usual for the mods to delete a reply/post if its too an old thread, happens to me often 🥴 they then notify me and tell me not to answer on old threads.

Reply to Could I ask if you could help explain the comments re a Domestic ElCR report that has come back unsatisfactory please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock