Discuss could some one be able to give us abit of advice! am new 2 domesticzzz!!! thanks in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ElectroManUk

Hi all.:confused:
am a newly qalified domestic spark, all my past experience is on auto electrics! however i am hoping to start up on my own as i cant find employment at this time, i have just been asked by a friend to rewire 2 down stairs lights and 1 bathroom light, aswel as rewire a ciruit for a dishwasher, i dnt is just the wire for that circuit not the hole ring mains! am confidant in doin all this, am just unsure wot the qoute of this would cost! because this is a mate il charge him just for materials! am defined scope Part P with 17th! i am goin in for Full scope in 2 weeks. how will i go about certifing this? will i need to get it tested and inspected to?

hope any one can help me on this 1! am new, wot can i say:D

thanks for takin time to read this to:)

how will i go about certifing this? will i need to get it tested and inspected to?

All electrical work should be tested and certified.

am just unsure wot the qoute of this would cost! because this is a mate il charge him just for materials!

go to a wholesaler and ask them to quote you how much the equipment will cost. you may need to measure your cable runs and allow a bit extra.(or buy 50m drums of cable)

am defined scope Part P with 17th! i am goin in for Full scope in 2 weeks.

With a part p scheme? (elecsa, niceic,napit?)

are you rewiring the full lighting circuit or just sections of it?

hi, thanks for the reply!
and yes all work should be tested and inspected! can i do this my self if i had the equipment, and certify it once i av my full scope or would i need c&gs 2391?

on pricing, i did,nt really explane it correctly, i just wanted to no how much in general it would cost approx. and yes the lighting circuits are rewires, but for the dishwasher i think it just needs a replacement wire as its been cut to sort!

i am looking on registering with NICEIC when i finish the course. untill then will i no b able to certify any thing?

Many Thanks once agian!

Yes if you had suitable test equipment you do it yourself, if you are not registered with a part p scheme then the only way for you to comply with part p is to phone your local building control before you start work and they will advise you.

without looking at the job i couldnt really say how much it would cost but ballpark figure of about 400 quid to rewire 2 lighting circuits and a section of the ringmain.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is why qualified sparks are out of work whilst 2 min wonders like your self um and ah about pricing and testing

everyone starts somewhere though greg and if a friend asked you to do some work for him then you would probably do the same as electroman. however if you do not have the neccessary test equipment and experience i would not do this work.

yes maybe u are right! we all have to start some where :confused: u once dint have a clue on wot u was doin b4 you started training and working! i know il take pride in my work, and i will learn one day, maybe at a large cost or an underpriced job! and i have never priced a job so this is why am asking, one i have dun it 100+ times, i am pritty sure that i wont need any advice or things like that but thanks 4 ur comment any wayz!!!:D

sorry i appreciate what your trying to achieve and i was prob the same and i wish you the best of luck. And the pricing will come with time. just been one of those days trying to sort out prize a installation done 5 years ago by a so called electrician in a kitchen.

this is why qualified sparks are out of work whilst 2 min wonders like your self um and ah about pricing and testing

You are entitled to your opinons but DO NOT insult other members...We are a friendly forum for all to use and do not need snotty remarks towards new members etc.

was not being insulating was recording my view

Please respect our moderators requests...if you have any further issues then please pm me to discuss it further...

you could do the job, just charge materials and use the job to get registered your mate should not mind if he is getting the job done for freee

hi and thanks!
because this is a friend, i will just ask him to pay for the materials and certifing cost, as its just abit of experience for me! am pritty sure i need to register with a scheme b4 i could certify it any way! i will be able to to test it with the right equipment though wont i?

I normally price per socket outlet or light fitting etc ie. £55 per socket, £65 per light fixture. then I always add a little extra for my night in the pub, just pays for the beers......:D

hi mate we charge £40 per point sockets/spurs, and £25 a light point. for white plastic thats on adverage but again without seeing it...
and yes you can register through your local council but it will not be cheap cheap cheap.
on a new circuit or extedtion you need the cable sizes,Zs,R1+R2 and fuse rating and type. maybe some supply charisteristics also.

Last edited:
hi, id just like to add to this as i have just spoken to some one that works for the nic qualified inspecters! and they have never heard of defined and full scope Part P! i am kind of gettin told a range of diffrent things! would it be possible for one of u nice people to clarify wot it means i can or cant do with full scope Part P!

Many Thanks to all of you!!!:)

Have you read Doc P?

Anyhoo, defined scope is for kitchen/bathroom fitters etc who do electrical work as a part of their normal trade.

EG, relocating and installing additional sockets as part of a kitchen refit.

Full scope is for electricians who carry out ALL domestic work.

hi jason thanks for that, i have read part p doc, its just when some one who works for NIC is telling me hes never heard of it, and i no hes bin doing this for years with hes own company! its just something really i cant explain to some one with so much experience and noz (NO SWEARING) loads more then me! am a beginer! i think i will go over everything i have regarding Part P regs tho!

Many thanks once agen!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to could some one be able to give us abit of advice! am new 2 domesticzzz!!! thanks in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock