Discuss Could use some quick help... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dansolomon

I'm not an electrician, but I could use one's advice, if anyone's got a moment to spare. My wife received a Casio keyboard for Christmas. It came from the US, and had a US plug on its AC adapter. I was concerned that it would be damaged if she plugged it in over here, so she ran it on batteries instead. She has a curious mind, though, and so she plugged the ac adapter into an active surge protector using a cheap, non-converting international plug adapter. The cord wasn't attached to the keyboard, it was just sitting loose. After a moment, the thing started smoking. I unplugged it quickly, and aside from the prongs being hot to the touch, have nothing else to report on that front. My laptop was plugged into the same surge protector, and after a moment it said that the wireless signal couldn't be detected, and I noticed it was now on battery power. I tried to turn on a lamp that was plugged into an adjacent outlet, but it wouldn't come on. The computer seems to be fine- though I'm no expert- but right now, most of the outlets in our flat aren't supplying any power. I've flipped the switches on the outlet, and turned on and off the fuse box, but there's nothing happening. The overhead lights in the flat are all working as normal, as are the outlets in the kitchen. But everything else is out. Is there anyone who can tell me what happened and what I can do to try and fix it? Even if that answer is "call a qualified electrician", I'd sure love a bit of information- I've never had anything like this happen before. Thanks- I hope this question isn't inappropriate for the forum. --d

Hi,

Some of your sockets are working, so you havent lost power coming in.

Have a look at your fusebox (is it a fusebox or are you just using that as a general term - I mean has it got fuses rather than minature circuit breakers (MCB's))

Are the individual circuits labelled? if so try and establish what circuits the sockets are on. If the kitchen sockets are on, then it could be on a sepaerate circuit to the sockets that are off.

If so, and you have BS3036 rewirable fuses, then its highly likely your fuse has blown. If you have two seperate circuits for your sockets, take out the fuse and examine it to see if its blown. if you are not sure then swap the two fuses for the two seperate circuits, and see if your kitchen sockets go out and your other sockets come back on.

If so, then your fuse has blown and just needs rewiring with the correct fuse wire.

Before you start pulling the fuses, switch off all the sockets so the circuit is not under load.

I'll be on here for the next 20-30 mins if you want any more help

Reply to Could use some quick help... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net