Discuss Country Flags: Thought I'd done this thread but maybe not. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Okay, so we have some country flags knocking around. Depending on the screen size of your device, will depend on where they show and how often etc. Really small screens will see them less. iPads and Laptops and Notebooks will see them in all places I've set them to.

On your mobile, if you turn it 90 degrees and use it in landscape view (so as if you were taking a video) the layout of the forum changes compared to portrait view (upright). As there is more width space the avatar flag may move or appear for you.

The flags are base don a global standard and automatically parsed based on your IP. We don't have English, Scottish, Welsh Northern Irish, Catalonian, Crimea, or any other annex of a larger country.

Think of it as whichever passport you would use. That's what the IP address uses. And that's what flag you get.

We have this member-created-thread: Avatar flags: great idea - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/avatar-flags-great-idea.175624/

But it sort of went off on one. So I'm writing my own. I thought I did, but perhaps not.

So you can hide your flag if you don't want it showing here: https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/privacy

You change the drop down box to 'Nobody' for the flag option and it wont show next to anything you post.

But we can't be more local.

It uses technology which all technology uses - and I can't play around with it to make it more local. Sorry about that.

So this is what we will use to help the Americans provide advice to americans. And British to British. And Aussies to Aussies. And so on.

I've also now created thread prefixes so when you create a new thread, if you're from a country other than the UK, you can select it from the prefix to make it even more obvious. Or for the time that perhaps you're on holiday and your flag is showing up as South of France (Still just the French tag so you'll have to brag about it being the South in a thread :D :D ) but your advice is about Republic of Ireland etc.

I hope that clears things up.

We are now a global forum. And there are a couple of ways now (flags, or a thread prefix) to show which country the advice is sought for. So we wont mix it up.

Hope that helps.

Dan
[automerge]1566807181[/automerge]
Helps with this: Canada - Country Flags: Thought I'd done this thread but maybe not. - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/country-flags-thought-id-done-this-thread-but-maybe-not.177279/

And we've also go prefixes now which I'll create a thread about.

Last edited:

Reply to Country Flags: Thought I'd done this thread but maybe not. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net