Discuss couple of questions regaurding seperate cooker and hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looked at a job earlier something which ive yet to come across but presume its pretty common. The current freestanding cooker is wired on 6mm T & E on a 32a mcb. Customer doesn't want any of his recently laid carpets lifted and theres no route with out lifting any. With diversity his new cooker and hob comes in at 27a with a socket outlet. I've been looking online to see if I can find a cooker control unit with individual switches for both hob and cooker, which I cant find. But I'm thinking of coming out of CCU with built in socket to a 45a daul outlet which then goes on to feed cooker and hob. is this the right way of doing this i'd prefer a separate switch for both. is diversity applied the same for separate cookers and hobs as they are stand alone? how would you do this?

This is a common scenario, I often fit a 2 way consumer unit in a cupboard adjacent the oven & fit appropriate rated mcb's. A lot of free standing ovens only require 20A or less while the hob requires 32A. Your diversity calculation should still be valid. It is unusual to trip a 32A mcb on this arrangement.

This is a common scenario, I often fit a 2 way consumer unit in a cupboard adjacent the oven & fit appropriate rated mcb's. A lot of free standing ovens only require 20A or less while the hob requires 32A. Your diversity calculation should still be valid. It is unusual to trip a 32A mcb on this arrangement.
Behave! Your not serious?

Heard it all now

What would the appropriate rated MCB's be then??

Check the power rating on the oven & hob, typical for oven is 3.5 to 5KW, Hobs are 6 to 7 KW I = P/V generally 16 or 20A for an oven and 32A for a hob. Would hasel5 or leesparky5 care to offer any constructive criticism?

Check the power rating on the oven & hob, typical for oven is 3.5 to 5KW, Hobs are 6 to 7 KW I = P/V generally 16 or 20A for an oven and 32A for a hob. Would hasel5 or leesparky5 care to offer any constructive criticism?
your answer here is diversity.

Must have some bloody big ovens in Surrey. As per usual, 32A MCB and a bit of 6 milly will murder it, just stick em on a dual outlet connector with a single isolator for the pair of them, job done.

Must have some bloody big ovens in Surrey. As per usual, 32A MCB and a bit of 6 milly will murder it, just stick em on a dual outlet connector with a single isolator for the pair of them, job done.

common sense at last.

working from a mainly commercial perspective we always cable both ovens and hobs separately. This being a domestic premises and the restrictions of lifting carpets ect... I prefer the idea of having separate switches for both hob and oven only way I can think of doing this is having a daul outlet on top of a cupboard then feeding 2 separate 45a dp switch then onto the outlets. I'm really just interested in knowing what others would do

as above. 6mm on a 32A. single 45A isolator feeding a dual outlet plate.

working from a mainly commercial perspective we always cable both ovens and hobs separately. This being a domestic premises and the restrictions of lifting carpets ect... I prefer the idea of having separate switches for both hob and oven only way I can think of doing this is having a daul outlet on top of a cupboard then feeding 2 separate 45a dp switch then onto the outlets. I'm really just interested in knowing what others would do
I know there are some odd buggers in Norfolk but do they have carpets in the kitchens?? If they do just oink em up they can be re-used. (Just joking I go on me hols to Norfolk it's great)

iflifting carpets is a problem, wait till the laminate flooring comes up and the new decor is chased out with an angle grinder. roll on wireless outlet points.

I have to say that I've never seen the dual outlet plates (only singles). So good to know for the future.

Out of interst, when doing a rewire would you use a dual plate for oven & hobs? I prefer to feed separately so that if 1 goes down the customer has alternative means of cooking whilst the item is replaced / issue investigated (not that I've had this need a rise ... yet!)

I have to say that I've never seen the dual outlet plates (only singles). So good to know for the future.

Out of interst, when doing a rewire would you use a dual plate for oven & hobs? I prefer to feed separately so that if 1 goes down the customer has alternative means of cooking whilst the item is replaced / issue investigated (not that I've had this need a rise ... yet!)

The plate is made by Scolmore in their Click Polar range. I don't know of any others.

Reply to couple of questions regaurding seperate cooker and hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net