Discuss Course funding!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

No mate unless you are an apprentice or under 18 you don't get diddly. The only other way yopu get funding is by being on JSA. But they have limits and its like trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

There is no funding for NVQ3 unless you are an apprentice, as you must be working to gain it.

No mate unless you are an apprentice or under 18 you don't get diddly. The only other way yopu get funding is by being on JSA. But they have limits and its like trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

There is no funding for NVQ3 unless you are an apprentice, as you must be working to gain it.

level 2 i believe is free for everyone but level3 is self funding ,,i couldn't find any funding for the level 3 at all , the jsa wont pay for it ,they're skint.

level 2 i believe is free for everyone but level3 is self funding ,,i couldn't find any funding for the level 3 at all , the jsa wont pay for it ,they're skint.

Cheers fellas,
Jobcentre, ye bin on to them, aint geting diddly squat!! Its ard work this funding lark,, I need the 2391.
There is one funding agency available tho that I found, its called "skillworks" and your only allowed to claim up to 70 hours of learning. Pitty i didn't realise that before started, would have picked a different course selection.

Chreers tho

Jus went to enrol at college for NVQ level 3 and was told to get lost , not literally. Theres no funds available unless ur on dole or as an apprentice. now I'm hoping my employer agrees on giving me an employment contract where he has to pay me £2.50 p/h and to come into college. I need to chat with him as I'm on temp work on off.

When I was at college you could get the courses for just the registration fee if you could prove you were on JSA, so for example it was £40 for the level 3 instead of £1009. That was through the college directly.
You'd be hard pushed to get the time of day out of the jobsworthcentre.

Hi all,Dose anyone no of any course funding that is available anywhere?

I just completed level 2 and the first yr I paid £800 for but because I hadn't studied for an NVQ before I was eligible for funding and the college refunded £660.

The college contacted me about all of this, I never asked for any funding as I didn't know it was available.

I paid just £100 for yr 2 of level 2

I have heard that we all have to pay full price for level 3 but that's not set in stone yet, I guess I'll find out nearer to September.
Maybe it's worth speaking to the college?

Ps my age is 28

Hope this helps

I am starting 2330 level 2, 3 day course only lasts a year and its only £40 because its my first ever level 2 course, I am told level 3 is 1000 and the nvq 3 that i will do at the same time is 1500 and last 18 months so total time to qualify is 2 years 18 months not too bad. After failing to get an apprenticeship im fine with this as i qualify in less time

oh im 29

Last edited by a moderator:
can get funding if you don't have nvq level 2 or equivalent - more commonly known as being a thick **** like me and I'm wrong side of 18 again !

Good to hear about the funding the lecturer explained all this above to me and circled some text on a leaflet to show when I enrol I'll get funding for the first course I didn't expect it so chuffed to bits :D

It works like this, if you want to upgrade current quals or even just get some at a cost of £1500 no chance, However if you happen to say want 15million to start a car plant with the sole intention of getting all the grants and funding the dept of trade and industry can get you with the intention of shutting shop in two years then yes you can, But then again some complete load of plonkers with illusions of grandeur and the hope of basking in the reflected glory of the tories went out and sold the rest of use for the price of their own notions of what crippling unemployment and closure of every concievable public service would bring, I myself tried every avenue of funding after 3 years of cancer treatment to upgrade to increase my scope of work and the only way was through what the labour government had in place called the over 50's in work training grant and guess what one week into power and the Tory befiits Waffen SS scrapped it end of rant
Pict

Last edited:
iv just had to pay nearly £1000 for the 2330 lvl3 which starts in september. was told no funding at all (cheers dave) unless you are a youngun. Had the previous 2 years funded and my nvq3 so i cant complain realy.

What ****es me off though is people who become a qualified person go on to earn more, therefore pay more in taxes over the years. Not only paye but spend more etc, so why they dont encourage adult learners is beyond me, no logic at all.

iv just had to pay nearly £1000 for the 2330 lvl3 which starts in september. was told no funding at all (cheers dave) unless you are a youngun. Had the previous 2 years funded and my nvq3 so i cant complain realy.

What ****es me off though is people who become a qualified person go on to earn more, therefore pay more in taxes over the years. Not only paye but spend more etc, so why they dont encourage adult learners is beyond me, no logic at all.

I think the logic to it is that the people who are going to do it are going to do it anyway, to better themselves, so they can earn more money for themselves, so they can buy nice food and fancy clothes for themselves. People don't do it so they can pay money back into the treasury through taxes.
It's a bit like that EMA which Labour dreamed up - throw £40 a week at every kid who turns up to school for them to spend on alcopops at the weekend.
Both initiatives are well intended but the reality is that rather than encouraging more people into further education they just serve as a cherry on the top for those who were going to do it anyway. Some might call that 'an unnecessary expense which can't be afforded' or 'a waste of money'.

I think the logic to it is that the people who are going to do it are going to do it anyway, to better themselves, so they can earn more money for themselves, so they can buy nice food and fancy clothes for themselves. People don't do it so they can pay money back into the treasury through taxes.
It's a bit like that EMA which Labour dreamed up - throw £40 a week at every kid who turns up to school for them to spend on alcopops at the weekend.
Both initiatives are well intended but the reality is that rather than encouraging more people into further education they just serve as a cherry on the top for those who were going to do it anyway. Some might call that 'an unnecessary expense which can't be afforded' or 'a waste of money'.

Sorry, i didnt mean people were doing it to pay money back into the system, rather in the long run the government would be better off funding some of the needy to better themselfs. If not then they live on the min wage and contributing next to nothing and claiming tax credits etc.

Just my opinion like.

Sorry, i didnt mean people were doing it to pay money back into the system, rather in the long run the government would be better off funding some of the needy to better themselfs. If not then they live on the min wage and contributing next to nothing and claiming tax credits etc.

Just my opinion like.
On the face of it that appears to make sense, but there will be a certain percentage of people who will do it off their own backs without any financial assistance from the government - paying for their courses would be a waste of money. A bit like how if you spend your life scrimping and saving in preparation for retirement you're expected to live off that while someone who has squandered all their money on a luxury lifestyle gets everything paid for by the taxpayer.

I find it very arrogant to hear you think the government should fund your new career when they already have done once when you went to school! I didn't do as well as I should of at school and was fully prepared to pay to better myself and get a better job then HGV driver(which I also paid for myself and it cost 3k) and to find out I will get some is a very welcome surprise. You've been very lucky to get anything at all and should be grateful not moaning that they should pay for it all so you can pay more tax!

I'm only 17 progressing from level 2 onto a level 3 city in guilds and my college is charging me £1400 for the course. Appears there is no funding whatsoever. I'm unemployed and cant sign on because im under 18. I have had to enroll on a carpentry course as well (which is free) just so my parents can get working tax credit because the electrical course is only 1 day a week as opposed to 2 days for the level 2.

Oliver I am affraid that is typical nationally, no money for those who in your case are the future technical and industrial backbone of this country however I do have one bit of advice for you, stay with it, ok so carpentry may not be your first choice but it is evidence of your willingness to get on,or, you could go into politics and get everything for bugger all
Pict

Reply to Course funding!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net