Discuss Covering an electric socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there - is there any electrical regulation that should prevent me from covering a socket when I install a built in wardrobe?

I'm planning an building a wardrobe that will cover a socket that's there - my carpenter said he can cut a hole in the side of the wardrobe so the plug is still accessible in the wardrobe.... but then i'm planning on having drawer units fitted in which would subsequently cover it again - is this ok??

My thinking is as long as in the future someone could access the socket (ie by unscrewing / ripping out the fixed inside drawers) then this should be fine?

Just don't want to be breaking any regulation which would prevent future sale...

thank you

should not be a problem if the socket can be accessed (with a little difficulty). or you could have the cables jointed in the back box with maintenance free wago connectors and a blank plate fitted.

Id go with wago (Or other) maintenance free connectors with a blank plate incase there are ever any issues it would be a pain to get to the socket..
OP has disappeared, probably boarded up behind the new wardrobe. was on for approx 9 minutes from OP.

should not be a problem if the socket can be accessed (with a little difficulty). or you could have the cables jointed in the back box with maintenance free wago connectors and a blank plate fitted.
Wago connectors are only certified as maintenance-free when inside a WagoBox, and with a cable tie fitted.

Wago connectors are only certified as maintenance-free when inside a WagoBox, and with a cable tie fitted.
Paste the data source please as that would make three quaters of UK electricians wrong... (me included)While I do make sure of no mechanical movement in every case of connection, I do not like the wago box

have to disagree there mate. wagos are enclosed and a tool is required for access. (faceplate screws). the same reasoning with the cable tie. you need a tool to open it.

If it can be accessed, I.e. behind a faceplate then it doesn’t need to be maintanence free.

have to disagree there mate. wagos are enclosed and a tool is required for access. (faceplate screws). the same reasoning with the cable tie. you need a tool to open it.
Whilst I agree with your reasoning, and would be happy to use this as a MF method, @Risteard is quite correct in saying that such a method cannot be certified as MF.

For Wago connectors, the manufacturer's instructions are very specific as what can be classed as MF.

For Wago connectors, the manufacturer's instructions are very specific as what can be classed as MF.

that's only because they want you to buy their boxes.

Can any MOD branch that into another thread? Something like "Wago not maintenance free?"
I find that theme more important then simple socket blanking...

Hi there - is there any electrical regulation that should prevent me from covering a socket when I install a built in wardrobe?

I'm planning an building a wardrobe that will cover a socket that's there - my carpenter said he can cut a hole in the side of the wardrobe so the plug is still accessible in the wardrobe.... but then i'm planning on having drawer units fitted in which would subsequently cover it again - is this ok??

My thinking is as long as in the future someone could access the socket (ie by unscrewing / ripping out the fixed inside drawers) then this should be fine?

Just don't want to be breaking any regulation which would prevent future sale...

thank you
There is 132.12;

Accessibility of electrical equipment
Electrical equipment shall be arranged to provide:
(i) sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment

(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.

I would get thr carpenter to ensure there is sufficient space around the socket for it to be removed and reterminated, I'd go 6" all the way around the socket as a starting point.

Reply to Covering an electric socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net