Discuss Covid Shielding and Rewire. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nitram

-
Reaction score
My Friend has an ex council house (owned privately) that has recently been tested by the Local council ( its on a council estate that all the other properties have been identified as needing refurbishment.) The electrical installation is approx 40 years old and has been identified as out of date (not condemned) by the councils electrical report (which he does not have). The council are trying to force him to rewire although his mother is shielding. Can they do this legally?

I'm presuming your mates mum is living in the house?
If the house is owned privately then I'd go with NO, they can't do this legally.
I'd ask for a copy of the electrical report.

I'm presuming your mates mum is living in the house?
If the house is owned privately then I'd go with NO, they can't do this legally.
I'd ask for a copy of the electrical report.
She does live there yes - and I suggested he should obtain a copy of the report asap.

She does live there yes - and I suggested he should obtain a copy of the report asap.

If he gets the report and is unsure of it then just post it up on here and we can all have a look at it.
Blank out any names/addresses/private info.

If he gets the report and is unsure of it then just post it up on here and we can all have a look at it.
Blank out any names/addresses/private info.
Under what circumstances would the council be able to force a shielding private owner to rewire their own home? It makes no sense to me.. I'll post the report if he can get it for clarification - but my feeling is that unless condemned it is only out of date - not dangerous.... I dont imagine the council have those powers..

Under what circumstances would the council be able to force a shielding private owner to rewire their own home? It makes no sense to me.. I'll post the report if he can get it for clarification - but my feeling is that unless condemned it is only out of date - not dangerous.... I dont imagine the council have those powers..

I'm not sure to be honest mate. Seeing that the house was bought from the council I don't quite understand why they still think that it has anything to do with them now.
I'd be interested to see what tests were actually done to the property and how long the was the person in the house to do the tests.

The only possible situation I could imagine is if it is deemed a fire risk and so puts others in a block of flats at risk. But that would be unusual for a 40 your old install, though maybe not for 60+ years if it had perished VIR type wire I guess.

As above, if they are pressing for this they have to give a VERY good reason and that has to start with the EICR report.

They are threatening legal action if he does not allow access to rewire - and no they are not going to pay for it.... Thanks for your replies - I will post the report when (if) he can get it. But from what I can find on the interweb they are not allowed to do this....
Its a 3 bed detached - and council are aware its privately owned.... as Strima said so eloquently "Private property has sod all to do with the council."

Last edited:
They are threatening legal action if he does not allow access to rewire - and no they are not going to pay for it.... Thanks for your replies - I will post the report when (if) he can get it. But from what I can find on the interweb they are not allowed to do this....

Get your mate to tell the council that he want's a copy of the report and that the house is owned privately. If it needs rewiring your mate will choose an electrician, after getting a few quotes.
The council can't force their electrician on you....

Out of curiosity, what size house is it and how much do they want from your friend for the rewire?

Get your mate to tell the council that he want's a copy of the report and that the house is owned privately. If it needs rewiring your mate will choose an electrician, after getting a few quotes.
The council can't force their electrician on you....

Out of curiosity, what size house is it and how much do they want from your friend for the rewire?
3 bed - not sure hes away at the moment - I will ask him and follow up here in a while..... Thanks

Makes me wonder if the council have no involvement, and that this is a chancer wanting to rip him off.
No its definitely the council - he has a solicitor checking legalities.. I am just trying to save him some hassle as the solicitor is obviously not doing this for free. I'm hoping that someone here can definitively say - No the council can't force entry to a shielded household.... for a rewire!

Unless there was some kind of clause in the purchase I can't see how it is any of their business in fact you could argue if they had no business doing it then it was trespass.

It may be just a marketing thing...
“All the council houses are being rewired by us, and we can offer to do yours for £Xx as we’re in the area”

There is no way the council can enter a property for any reason, even one of their own, without permission from the homeowner or tenant.

It may be just a marketing thing...
“All the council houses are being rewired by us, and we can offer to do yours for £Xx as we’re in the area”

There is no way the council can enter a property for any reason, even one of their own, without permission from the homeowner or tenant.
No its not a marketing thing - I dont think its good marketing to threaten legal action to drum up business... My mate has responded - He is going to request the report from the council and take it from there - tomorrow - so thanks for your responses - I'll be back....

Methinks there must be more to the story here. Privately owned = clue is in the name.

Methinks there must be more to the story here. Privately owned = clue is in the name.
Exactly the reason I have started this post - it makes no sense. Regardless of the rewire I'm pretty sure no one can force a private owner to carry out any work in the home - especially when shielding...

Last edited:

Reply to Covid Shielding and Rewire. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock