Discuss Cowboy electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ah right I was under the impression you had carried out plenty of EICRs and knew what you was talking about, yes I do know my prices of rcbos that’s for sure And £12 “NETT” I’ve never heard of ?‍♂️ No I’m not trying to be personal but you have posted numerous times against my opinions when I’ve posted.

£12 nett of VAT - perhaps I should have been clearer on that point. There have now been two options posted in this thread for RCBOs well under your price of £30 - CP Fusebox and BG - both of which are roughly half of that.

I've asked several questions about posts you've made when I couldn't understand the reasoning behind them. I'm not "for" or against anyone's opinions, but tend to ask questions when I can not make sense of a comment in threads I've been following - that's not to say the comment is necessarily flawed, but simply that I don't understand why a particular point is being made.
[automerge]1597273451[/automerge]
Also just curious why do you use rcbos rather than dual rcds?

I gave some reasons when asking why you prefer dual RCD boards.

Much better, all round. Things tend to be moving that way too, at last.
i don’t agree with that from what I gather we are having dual rcd consumers as recommended for paat few years
[automerge]1597274032[/automerge]
£12 nett of VAT - perhaps I should have been clearer on that point. There have now been two options posted in this thread for RCBOs well under your price of £30 - CP Fusebox and BG - both of which are roughly half of that.

I've asked several questions about posts you've made when I couldn't understand the reasoning behind them. I'm not "for" or against anyone's opinions, but tend to ask questions when I can not make sense of a comment in threads I've been following - that's not to say the comment is necessarily flawed, but simply that I don't understand why a particular point is being made.
[automerge]1597273451[/automerge]

I gave some reasons when asking why you prefer dual RCD boards.

Well I’ve not come across rcbos £12 I’ll be honest but I take your word for it I’ll google it to see if those brands are stocked in reputable electrical wholesalers or from “CHYYNNA” ?

dual RCD boards are a get around the reg; about inconvenience etc. caused by loss of whole house due to a fault, in the cheapest way. better than a single RCD but not as good as RCBOs, esp. as the price of RCBOs has come down to an acceptable levl and compact RCDOs without the earth tail overcome the problem of no room above to decently dress in cables.

dual RCD boards are a get around the reg; about inconvenience etc. caused by loss of whole house due to a fault, in the cheapest way. better than a single RCD but not as good as RCBOs, esp. as the price of RCBOs has come down to an acceptable levl and compact RCDOs without the earth tail overcome the problem of no room above to decently dress in cables.
Aslong as your capable of fault finding then having a few circuits on the rcd isn’t an issue if there was a fault on let’s say down ring can easily ditch Faulty leg and convert to 2 radials so it’s not an issue really what would you do if you had same fault on the rcbo? Leave them without power cos you cudn find the fault?
[automerge]1597274572[/automerge]
Aslong as your capable of fault finding then having a few circuits on the rcd isn’t an issue if there was a fault on let’s say down ring can easily ditch Faulty leg and convert to 2 radials so it’s not an issue really what would you do if you had same fault on the rcbo? Leave them without power cos you cudn find the fault?
No difference is there? Better with rcbos why?? If there’s fault you still need to rectify it Don’t you. Suppose many sparks can’t fault find or do heating controls don’t suppose your one of them telectrix?

totally irelevant. if you have a circuit fault tripping a RCBO it's ony 1 circuit dead till you can return next day with time to find the fault. with a dual RCD board, 1 trips and customer has, hopefully half his sockets and half his lights working. use of extension lead/s and or plug in lights will see him through. single RCD and he's got no TV, no freezer, no cooking, no lights.

totally irelevant. if you have a circuit fault tripping a RCBO it's ony 1 circuit dead till you can return next day with time to find the fault. with a dual RCD board, 1 trips and customer has, hopefully half his sockets and half his lights working. use of extension lead/s and or plug in lights will see him through. single RCD and he's got no TV, no freezer, no cooking, no lights.
NO, you do the fault finding there and then I would never leave a customer with 4 or 5 circuits without power untill next day. Why would you do that???
[automerge]1597275113[/automerge]
NO, you do the fault finding there and then I would never leave a customer with 4 or 5 circuits without power untill next day. Why would you do that???
Infact you’ve answered my previous post of not being able to fault find. Once you learn how to fault find using your multi function tester with the adaptor it’s easy rather than guessing with disconnecting sockets and all that ? cracks me up
[automerge]1597275306[/automerge]

Infact you’ve answered my previous post of not being able to fault find. Once you learn how to fault find using your multi function tester with the adaptor it’s easy rather than guessing with disconnecting sockets and all that ? cracks me up
That was a ridiculous post I would never leave a customer with any of what you mentioned once you learn how to fault find properly it’s easy. Goes to show you can’t teach an old dog new tricks

Last edited:

You've completely missed the point, the problem is faults which occur in the future, after you have completed the job.

The customer may not be able to get an electrician for a couple of days.

That was a ridiculous post I would never leave a customer with any of what you mentioned once you learn how to fault find properly it’s easy. Goes to show you can’t teach an old dog new tricks

sorry, but i resent that. my speciality is fault finding. i have followed no end of sparks that have given upon a fault and found the faults through years of experience. try going out on a call at 11.00pm and all you can do is leave them with as much as possible for the night. e.g. isolate a faulty circuit to reinstate 4 others on a dual RCD board.
i've been out to a metr on fire at 10.30pm; a total loss of electric due to a corroded N under the street ( that as at 8.30 pm ).in both these cases i've had SP Energy out.

lost count of the number of faults i've cleared in 1 call-out. in the last year about a dozen have come off this forum with householders signing up for help. so don't say i can't fault find. OK.

With all due respect, this isn’t the hadron collider. I’m starting to think Industrial is easier than domestic in the UK.
No industrial is with far higher risk as you clearly know. More to the point I’m stating that all the older generation don’t know it all which over the months and years they have targeted inexperienced sparks on here but I will voice my opinion

i don’t agree with that from what I gather we are having dual rcd consumers as recommended for paat few years
[automerge]1597274032[/automerge]

Well I’ve not come across rcbos £12 I’ll be honest but I take your word for it I’ll google it to see if those brands are stocked in reputable electrical wholesalers or from “CHYYNNA” ?

Who recommends dual RCD consumer units? The regulations have required segregation of circuits to minimise disturbance for a long time.
RCBO's minimise disturbance far better than dual RCDs do.

Yes those brands are stocked in reputable wholesalers.

Most brands of switchgear, including some of the leading names, are made in China, this has no effect on their quality,
[automerge]1597275954[/automerge]
yes I do know my prices of rcbos that’s for sure And £12 “NETT” I’ve never heard of ?‍♂️

You've never heard the term nett? Did you not go to school?

sorry, but i resent that. my speciality is fault finding. i have followed no end of sparks that have given upon a fault and found the faults through years of experience. try going out on a call at 11.00pm and all you can do is leave them with as much as possible for the night. e.g. isolate a faulty circuit to reinstate 4 others on a dual RCD board.
i've been out to a metr on fire at 10.30pm; a total loss of electric due to a corroded N under the street ( that as at 8.30 pm ).in both these cases i've had SP Energy out.

lost count of the number of faults i've cleared in 1 call-out. in the last year about a dozen have come off this forum with householders signing up for help. so don't say i can't fault find. OK.
I’ve done all of the above mate you’re not alone there. Yes same here luckily I was taught well with fault finding. Ok I won’t say you can’t fault find but what I will say is that you can’t fault find as good as me ??

What if it happens in the middle of the night? Your argument is ridiculous.

Who recommends dual RCD consumer units? The regulations have required segregation of circuits to minimise disturbance for a long time.
RCBO's minimise disturbance far better than dual RCDs do.

Yes those brands are stocked in reputable wholesalers.

Most brands of switchgear, including some of the leading names, are made in China, this has no effect on their quality,
[automerge]1597275954[/automerge]

You've never heard the term nett? Did you not go to school?
NETT must have been banned from round my way years ago for being so ----. I went to a tidy school not a WETT one dave ?
[automerge]1597276211[/automerge]
I get a phone call and rectify it. Simple really doesn’t matter if it’s middle of day either
[automerge]1597276397[/automerge]
IPF - are you another one who can’t fault find?

NETT must have been banned from round my way years ago for being so ----. I went to a tidy school not a WETT one dave ?

Presumably you don't, and have never, run your own business or been self employed as it is standard accounting and tax terminology.

Net and Gross are standard terms used to denote whether a figure includes, or excludes, tax.
[automerge]1597276622[/automerge]
I get a phone call and rectify it. Simple really doesn’t matter if it’s middle of day either

Are you saying that your business is so bad that you are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring all day and night and respond to call outs straight away at any time?

The vast majority of us are doing a bit better than that and are busy with planned work so can't go to fault finding jobs the second we put the phone down.

I’ve done all of the above mate you’re not alone there. Yes same here luckily I was taught well with fault finding. Ok I won’t say you can’t fault find but what I will say is that you can’t fault find as good as me ??

like a bet. i was fault fixing when you were still a spotty teenager. even if i do think in feet and inches. :p :cool::). and i added more smileys than you did. :nose:

like a bet. i was fault fixing when you were still a spotty teenager. even if i do think in feet and inches. :p :cool::). and i added more smileys than you did. :nose:
Never been a spotty teenager more a sporty teenager playing footie and following Cardiff City FC!!!!
[automerge]1597277092[/automerge]
Presumably you don't, and have never, run your own business or been self employed as it is standard accounting and tax terminology.

Net and Gross are standard terms used to denote whether a figure includes, or excludes, tax.
[automerge]1597276622[/automerge]

Are you saying that your business is so bad that you are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring all day and night and respond to call outs straight away at any time?

The vast majority of us are doing a bit better than that and are busy with planned work so can't go to fault finding jobs the second we put the phone down.
Yes Dave your clearly better than everyone especially myself. Dai English ??
[automerge]1597277182[/automerge]
Certainly find fault with you. Good night.
Maybe we can meet up for a fault find exhibition one day and a good few drinks after I teach the old dog ??

Reply to Cowboy electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net