Discuss Cowboy electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never been a spotty teenager more a sporty teenager playing footie and following Cardiff City FC!!!!
[automerge]1597277092[/automerge]

Yes Dave your clearly better than everyone especially myself. Dai English ??
[automerge]1597277182[/automerge]

Maybe we can meet up for a fault find exhibition one day and a good few drinks after I teach the old dog ??
All good fun lads take care ?

this scouse boy sez. up yours cardiff::sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat::tongueout::tongueout:
31 Oct 2007Liverpool v Cardiff CityW2-1League Cup
26 Feb 2012Cardiff City v LiverpoolW2-2League Cup
21 Dec 2013Liverpool v Cardiff CityW3-1Premier League
22 Mar 2014Cardiff City v LiverpoolW3-6Premier League
27 Oct 2018Liverpool v Cardiff CityW4-1Premier League
21 Apr 2019Cardiff City v LiverpoolW0-2Premier League
[automerge]1597277317[/automerge]
and now it's goodnight from me and goodnight from him,
Wow, you’ve just gone through the effort of reminding me that Liverpool are a better side than cardiff? I’m sure many Man Utd supporters can remind you of why they are better than yourselves. Even though for 2 years you’ve played well
[automerge]1597277771[/automerge]
All from a joke ''electrical engineer'' with Level 3 Installations.......
What you mean? I am an electrical engineer in electrotechnical installations building and structures. I’m fully capable of all install types why what are you then? Office boy with your Parker pen? Who doesn’t have a clue
[automerge]1597277840[/automerge]
Wow, you’ve just gone through the effort of reminding me that Liverpool are a better side than cardiff? I’m sure many Man Utd supporters can remind you of why they are better than yourselves. Even though for 2 years you’ve played well
[automerge]1597277771[/automerge]

What you mean? I am an electrical engineer in electrotechnical installations building and structures. I’m fully capable of all install types why what are you then? Office boy with your Parker pen? Who doesn’t have a clue
Or tea boy most probs you do as you’re told bitch! Haha

Like one or two others have said I find it very strange that the electrician has installed a neat board, using a more expensive brand yet with one RCD. It makes no sense.

It would be great to speak to the electrician and get the real reason why this happened. I'm 99% sure the reason would not justify one RCD but there's always the chance we are missing something.

Perhaps it's a sub board supplying a very VERY large garage. Fed with SWA from main CU into an adaptable box and then they've used meter tails into the sub board! :D

The old Wylex boards are smaller than most modern CU, so if space was limited around that you might be forced in to a smaller CU choice than you wanted (e.g. no spare ways). Size-wise they could have had a DP incomer switch and the 1 unit Wylex RCBOs in the same space though.

But I think we are over-thinking it, most likely it was what they had in the van that would go together and meet the minimum specification for safety. Though what is not mentioned enough in the above debate on 1 RCD / 2 RCD / RCBOs is the lack of testing & certificate for that money.

Also, perhaps there had been a fire and the old CU was destroyed. It's a Sunday, they live out in the sticks and that was the board they had on the van. So basically they saved the day and got the old lady back up and running on the same day! Well done to the electrician :D

I know, I know.... I'm 99% joking, but there's always that little chance we are missing something.

Getting back to the OP, I'm fairly certain the regs state the failure of 1 circuit shouldn't effect another. With that in mind, upfront rcds protecting numerous circuits doesnt comply.

Personally I have seen worst installs than this. It's fairly neat compared to alot of new installs, the lack of testing and paperwork is most concerning.

Just like buying a shiny car without an MOT and warranty.

Also, perhaps there had been a fire and the old CU was destroyed. It's a Sunday, they live out in the sticks and that was the board they had on the van. So basically they saved the day and got the old lady back up and running on the same day! Well done to the electrician :D

I know, I know.... I'm 99% joking, but there's always that little chance we are missing something.
don't think that's the case, otherwise he'd have been back some time in the last 4 months since that was installed to upgrade and produce EIC.

Getting back to the OP, I'm fairly certain the regs state the failure of 1 circuit shouldn't effect another. With that in mind, upfront rcds protecting numerous circuits doesnt comply.

Personally I have seen worst installs than this. It's fairly neat compared to alot of new installs, the lack of testing and paperwork is most concerning.

Just like buying a shiny car without an MOT and warranty.

if that were the case then split rcd boards wouldn‘t comply either...

if that were the case then split rcd boards wouldn‘t comply either...

That's the point. I remember my college tutor telling us his hatred for dual rcds boards. He always backed it up with showing us the regulation.

Unfortunatly I'm sat in a caravan in a rainy field and dont have the regs with me.

I'm sure its something like "the failure of one circuit should not in turn cause the failure of another circuit"

Regulation 531.3.5.2 allows rcd’s to protect several circuits except where restriction for selectively applies such as having a non time delay upstream of another non time delay rcd, people who believe dual rcd boards are non compliant are incorrect and just don’t like them full stop but that doesn’t mean they are non compliant.
Regulation 314 tells us to minimise inconveniences in the event of a fault, a dual rcd board does just that, just not as good as individual rcbos.

Baiting aside for a minute..

I don't have an issue with dual RCD boards.
Because of where I live I need to keep most items in stock so boxes of Hager RCBo's gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.

Any brand I stock I have to be able to get from wholesalers who deliver reliably to my area.
Ordering online can be hit and miss for delivery times sometimes a couple of days but more often nearer a week or beyond. Carriage charges are also sometimes prohibitive.

I always give my domestic customers the option and invariably they choose dual RCD.

years ago, it used to be the norm to put the highest rated MCB next to the main switch and scale down along the busbar. it was as pointless then as it is now. my preference is not to put heavily loaded MCBs adjacent to each other, irrespective of rating.this is so you don't end up with 2 warm breakers warning each other.
I would love for you to expand on why its pointless.

The idea of not having heavily loaded MCB bunched together seems intuitive, after all we don't bunch up high load cables.

Makes sense in a way.

Dual RCD boards reduce inconvenience, they do not minimise it.
RCBO's minimise inconvenience.

Minimise means to make as small as possible.
Yet they still do. You can arrange the circuits to fit any inconvenience you like.
One lighting circuit one side and one the other, down sockets on one rcd ,upstairs on other etc.
Rcbo boards are clearly a step up but dual rcd boards can and are used to comply.

Baiting aside for a minute..

I don't have an issue with dual RCD boards.
Because of where I live I need to keep most items in stock so boxes of Hager RCBo's gets pretty expensive pretty quickly.

Any brand I stock I have to be able to get from wholesalers who deliver reliably to my area.
Ordering online can be hit and miss for delivery times sometimes a couple of days but more often nearer a week or beyond. Carriage charges are also sometimes prohibitive.

I always give my domestic customers the option and invariably they choose dual RCD.
BG from Screwfix, less than £20 for an RCBO. Short form, no functional earth, whats not to love:D

Reply to Cowboy electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net