• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss cpc in downlight wiring??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jase

Electrician's Arms
how come there isnt a terminal for the cpc even on mains halogen fire rated downlights when the can is made of metal?? is it cos the terminals are insulated and then sit inside a plastic housing so they are double insulated i.e class 2?

Last edited:

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
about right. just makes you wonder how to terminate the cpc.

jase

Electrician's Arms
this is why i asked, went to a guys house the other day cos he built his own kitchen extension years ago but now wants to sell the house, anyway he never got it signed off by BC and now the inspector has come round he wants to see Part P documentation for the wiring, well i pulled one of the downlights down ( theres 20 overall!!) and he has just looped in and out with the live and neutrals and cut the cpc's off!!, am i correct in thinking that the reason there has to be continuity of the cpc is for obvious reasons in the event of a fault, hence not just using twin live and neutral cable?
The BC wants them to all be fire rated too so its a case of replacing them all so i shall be stripping back all the cables and using wagos and line enclosures anyway.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
i would ask for the inspector to quote the building reg. that says they have to be fire rated. sounds like a case of a jobsworth in a suit asserting his authority. in would also ask him if he has any idea of why and when fire rated downlights should be fitted.

Last edited:

jase

Electrician's Arms
I'm just the 3rd party here, i did ask the client, and told him that in my opinion they didnt NEED to be, but he just wants to get it sorted and get the paperwork so the sale of his house can go through. Im not even sure what is meant by Part P paperwork ??? I shall be doing a MWC for changing the lights, as i will test the circuit once im done.

Last edited:

jase

Electrician's Arms
TBH I'm surprised its just the lights he wants sorting, surely BC would want paperwork for the whole extension? In which case it would be an EICR on it, but if you were selling you house why not get an EICR on the whole house? mine is not to question why, mine is just to do as i am asked sometimes lol

E

ezzzekiel

complete a pir (or eicr now) and tell bc there is no requirement for fire ratings simple as that

M

MarkieSparkie

how come there isnt a terminal for the cpc even on mains halogen fire rated downlights when the can is made of metal?? is it cos the terminals are insulated and then sit inside a plastic housing so they are double insulated i.e class 2?
These types of light fittings are Class 2, the outer metalwork is separated from live parts by double or reinforced insulation and should be IEC 60617:Class 2 double square marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.