Discuss Crabtree RCCB's in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Torris

Hi
This is my first time on a forum and this is my problem.

I carried out some testing on a domestic premises, the consumer unit main switch is a Crabtree RCCB 2 pole rated at 80A with 100mA trip.
I carried out an RCD test at a random socket with my tester set to 100mA and tested on both cycles on 1/2I with no trip 1I with no trip and 5I with a trip at 6.3ms strangely it is the first time i have worked on a RCCB. My first instinct is to condem the RCCB, but as Im not 100% sure could anyone give there opinion, Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Torris

Another forum, i saw a similar problem. When the guy plugged a class II radio into the circuit and retested at a different socket the RCD tests were ok! (dont know if was crabtree)

Is your tests the same at each socket, and what results do you get if you go directly to the output of the RCCB?

Oh, and the other thing, i believe i am right in saying the x5 IdeltaN test is ONLY applicable at 30mA or less, so you should not be testing a 100mA on x5 anyway!

Firstly no 5x test on 100mA (the fluke wont even let you do the test)

Secondly a 100mA rccb/rcd shouldnt be used to reduce the risk of electric shock (412-06-02) as it doesnt offer protection against direct contact unlike a 30mA would so shouldnt be used for socket circuits.

100mA & higher are normally used for protection against fire in the event of earth leakage, or used on TT systems as main switch (if rcbo's are used on individual circuits) or the 100mA S type time delay are used on split load boards.

So in answer to your question I'd check you are testing at correct range (S type or not) then do as Tont58 said test the rccb in isolation from all circuits, if it fails again swap it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful on the split load crabtree boards as usually the 100ma RCD is a timed delay type as EasyFox stated. A normal RCD tester will not let you carry out the tests. You will require a time delay tester for the RCD tripping times.

RE:-Crabtree RCCB's,i came across a 80A/30mA RCD yesterday and found it failed the 30mA test at 1x and 5x,the device would not function when the test button was pressed,but after resetting it,it would let current flow.The type was a StarBreaker,and was part of a split-load kit.Have to swap the RCD,and would certainly not recommend this type of board.

Another forum, i saw a similar problem. When the guy plugged a class II radio into the circuit and retested at a different socket the RCD tests were ok! (dont know if was crabtree)

Is your tests the same at each socket, and what results do you get if you go directly to the output of the RCCB?

Oh, and the other thing, i believe i am right in saying the x5 IdeltaN test is ONLY applicable at 30mA or less, so you should not be testing a 100mA on x5 anyway!

Tony

You are correct you only do the X5 test on RCD/RCBO's up to and including 30mA when used for supplementry protection (Reg 412-06-02);)

Reply to Crabtree RCCB's in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock