• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Crank and cam sensor advice in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone could help me out i am stumped.I need to know if anyone can figure away around my cam and crank sensor's wiring.I basically have a bigger engine conversion in my car and have high voltage to cam sensor plugged in car will cut out unplugged i am getting high voltage.i have learned a little on wiring diagrams using vauxhall tis2000 but struggling now.i have had my ecu modified for my start of injection timing etc,but cant think of away around the wiring the first pic is the sensor's wiring for my engine and the second pic is the sensors for the engine loom and ecu i am running sadly i cant use the sensors that match the loom and ecu without using some sort of trigger wheel.I know its not a normal post you would get just need a bit advice.thanks

Attachments

• Crank and cam sensor advice received_633528913806504 - EletriciansForums.net
    received_633528913806504.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Crank and cam sensor advice received_666608113852376 - EletriciansForums.net
    received_666608113852376.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Hi just wondering if anyone could help me out i am stumped.I need to know if anyone can figure away around my cam and crank sensor's wiring.I basically have a bigger engine conversion in my car and have high voltage to cam sensor plugged in car will cut out unplugged i am getting high voltage.i have learned a little on wiring diagrams using vauxhall tis2000 but struggling now.i have had my ecu modified for my start of injection timing etc,but cant think of away around the wiring the first pic is the sensor's wiring for my engine and the second pic is the sensors for the engine loom and ecu i am running sadly i cant use the sensors that match the loom and ecu without using some sort of trigger wheel.I know its not a normal post you would get just need a bit advice.thanks
Pic 1 cam sensor. Pin 1 sensor signal.pin2 low reference.pin3 5v.
Crank sensor. pin1 low ref(1). pin 2 signal(1). pin 3 signal ground.
Pic 2 camsensor. pin1 crankshaft low ref(1).pin2 cam postion signal.pin3 5v reference
Cranksensor pin1 crank sensor signal (1)pin2 crank sensor low reference(1) pin3 5v reference

Hi,you are going to have to find out what signal,the ECU you are using,requires,and provide or mimic,it.

Why can you not use the ECU that matched the sensor? and modify the timing/fuelling on that?

You can replicate,but you may need some expensive interface tech,and an oscilloscope.:cool:

beyond my knowledge. with motors, if i can't fix it with a hammer, mole grips, and some scrap wire, it goes to an expert.

Thanks for replies.i couodnt use original ecu as theres an issue with immob and canbus comms to steering and abs and i dont think anyone has found away for immob off on motronic me7.6.2 as of yet.basacally its a astra vxr z20leh in a corsa d which also uses me7.6.2 but in the corsa the immob is different and when the vxr file is flashed it uses astra immob which can find cim unit etc as corsa uses bcm.so i had a corsa vxr me7.6.3 ecu modified to run astra timing boost maps etc

Cannot quite make out whats what but. There are two types of sensors, Hall effect sensors and magnetic sensors. They operate differently.
Start with the product code of the cam sensors to determine what they are, i.e. what sensor is currently fitted on your old engine compared to what is fitted to the new engine, ditto for crank sensor. It is common for cam sensors to be hall effect and crank magnetic. You will be able to tell by comparing the product codes. The magnetic does not take a power supply, its a 2 wire sensor. This is where your problem may be.
If it helps i ditched all the electronics in my car and installed a DTAFast ECU, dash and PDU as the OEM ECU simply would not play.

Cannot quite make out whats what but. There are two types of sensors, Hall effect sensors and magnetic sensors. They operate differently.
Start with the product code of the cam sensors to determine what they are, i.e. what sensor is currently fitted on your old engine compared to what is fitted to the new engine, ditto for crank sensor. It is common for cam sensors to be hall effect and crank magnetic. You will be able to tell by comparing the product codes. The magnetic does not take a power supply, its a 2 wire sensor. This is where your problem may be.
If it helps i ditched all the electronics in my car and installed a DTAFast ECU, dash and PDU as the OEM ECU simply would not play.
Hi mate i will do that there both bosch 3 pin sensors but
Thanks again for reply the original sensors cam sensor is hall and cranksensor is inductive.the same on both engines but the crank sensors look totally different. I wonder if the crank sensors can both be inductive but give out different volts.the problem with aftermarket ecu is getting my steering to work as its canbus and i would probs have to piggy back ecus.Crank and cam sensor advice Screenshot_20190822-213557_Samsung Internet - EletriciansForums.netCrank and cam sensor advice Screenshot_20190822-215006_Samsung Internet - EletriciansForums.netCrank and cam sensor advice Screenshot_20190822-223029_Samsung Internet - EletriciansForums.netCrank and cam sensor advice Screenshot_20190822-213629_eBay - EletriciansForums.net

Sounds like it's going to be a R&D type of job:cool:

If there is not a standard work-around,for this conversion,i would have considered building the running tech,from scratch,after ditching all but the vital stuff.

The crank sensor photo is very similar to mine. It may well have a 3 pin plug but dont be fooled. Mine is magnetic , has a 3 pin plug but only 2 wires are actually of use. When i first scoped the crank pulses, they were horrible because i thought, being a 3 wire sensor it would be Hall, but no..... The crank sensor on mine picks up pulses from the teeth around the flywheel, commonly know as 60-2, i.e. 60 teeth with 2 missing, which is how it determines TDC.

Just on crank sensors, what is the Bosch part No of the crank sensor of your old engine and what is the Bosch part no of the crank sensor on the bigger engine. These are usually written on the sensor itself, assuming they are bosch.

Thanks guys on closer looking at the sensors on tis2000 it is indeed different when i get 5 mins i will get the part numbers of the sensors on my engine and the ones off the corsa engine to double check for definate.The sensor on my astra engine is a old type sensor inductive(i think). The sensor that should go with the harness and ecu from the corsa at the flywheel end is hall so now i know how i am getting high voltage to the cam sensor,as my sensor is creating a voltage.ive honestly looked through the full vauxhall range tonight to find a sensor that may work and found a 1.7 cdti may work as its hall.The problem ive got now got is hopefully it looks like it might fit the hole in front of my block to the crank pickup.i will keep everyone posted and thanks very much your help.fingers crossed.

The crank sensor photo is very similar to mine. It may well have a 3 pin plug but dont be fooled. Mine is magnetic , has a 3 pin plug but only 2 wires are actually of use. When i first scoped the crank pulses, they were horrible because i thought, being a 3 wire sensor it would be Hall, but no..... The crank sensor on mine picks up pulses from the teeth around the flywheel, commonly know as 60-2, i.e. 60 teeth with 2 missing, which is how it determines TDC.
Thats how mine should be at flywheel end.It looks to be in with the crank oil seal and the sensor plugs into the seal with obviously a relucter wheel i pressume is rotating with the crank.i think your totaly correct as my sensor on the engine now is the same as yours.i am gonna try a hall sensor and hopefully it picks up off the crank as ive said earlier in the post ive already had the ecus timing maps altered to run my engine fingers crossed and thanks for everyones help on here and other forums.

Just on crank sensors, what is the Bosch part No of the crank sensor of your old engine and what is the Bosch part no of the crank sensor on the bigger engine. These are usually written on the sensor itself, assuming they are bosch.
I will grab all the details off the sensors.thankyou
[automerge]1567115263[/automerge]
Just incase anyones interested.Still no further forward tryed a hall effect sensor and its the same starts but as soon as the cam sensor is plugged in cuts out and fault code high voltage.ive had the old engine to bits and removed the crank sensor, there is a reluctor wheel on the end of the crank with no teeth on in it.Then the sensor is in a housing pressed in just after the crank oil seal.
.i now need to know if i can use any kind of sensor that would give the same signal as that one but run from my toothed pick up on the crank.i will post the part numbers just forgot today.

Last edited:

Reply to Crank and cam sensor advice in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back