Discuss crimped extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

It has been mentioned on here in past posts that it is ok to do what you suggest. Just make sure you use a proper ratchet crimp tool.

Plastering over the crimps (through crimps) I put heat shrink over the crimps. Only done it the once but it tested out OK thereafter so all good!

You can also get crimps with built in heat shrinking. Crimp it then run a hot air gun over it not only does the over sleeve shrink but goes "sticky" and glues itself to the cable. Like these from RS 458-0718. They are supposed to be watertight.

Buy Solder Sleeves Blu watertight crimp splice,1.5-2.5sq.mm RS SUMISEAL-BAG #2 BLU online from RS for next day delivery.

I had a NAPIT assessment a few months ago.
The assessor stated that thru crimps and heat shrink was ok.

I disagree,

but I'm sure he knows best

As far as I know ratchet crimpers are not designed for solid core cables,
I feel that the maintenance free connector blocks would be a better way to go

I had a NAPIT assessment a few months ago.
The assessor stated that thru crimps and heat shrink was ok.

I disagree,

but I'm sure he knows best

As far as I know ratchet crimpers are not designed for solid core cables,
I feel that the maintenance free connector blocks would be a better way to go

All i can say to that is that you must have been using cheap and nasty crimp tools, other wise you would know, deforming the core within the ferrule butt crimp and you have a 100% maintenance free connection/joint... End of!!!

You would need a box to enclose connector blocks ....of any kind!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing i find a pain is when brown /blu is crimped on to red/black and then plastered over as it can cause a bit of confusion in some circumstaces and needs a bit more testing so you know you have both ends of the same cable.

Reply to crimped extension in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net