Discuss Crimping lateral mains in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jamminuk

Hi,

Anyone here see any problems crimping 16mm lateral mains as a repair as opposed to re-running a complete new cable? I'm talking line, neautral and earth for 12 flats, 60Amp fuse. Junkies keep on nicking all the cable.

Thanks

Jammin

If your using exposed crimps and heat shrink id be inclined to finish the joint of with self amalgamating tape(waterproof/moisture proof) or/then cloth tape also

Just to add these cables are run in metal trunking, not sure if that makes a difference. I suppose what i want to know is, is it against regulation doing it this way? Someone mentioned something about bad practice.

Thanks

Ben

I suppose a new cable is the best option but the new ammendment in the regs says we can bury joints in a wall if the joint is made with a mechanical tool, i.e crimps

If your using exposed crimps and heat shrink id be inclined to finish the joint of with self amalgamating tape(waterproof/moisture proof) or/then cloth tape also

By far, ...better to enclose overall, in an adhesive headshrink tube. Those tubes when cooled can be as hard and as thick as PVC conduit, but will be sealed both ends against moisture etc!! Not that expensive either!!

Whats the regs about crimps and heat-shrink?Do you need to heat-shrink insulated crimps?

No you don't have too, but i always do, and in the appropriate colours too.... Some insulated crimps have heatshrinkable insulation as the insulated cover, but i still over cover with coloured Heatshrink

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Crimping lateral mains in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net