• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Critical Feedback recent Consumer unit install Please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Agree with above, it would be good to have a service loop of slack in the CPCs, as there is in the L & N. If one of the top circuits in the earth bar needs reterminating after it has been removed for testing or rearrangement of circuits following an alteration, there's hardly any slack available.

Heat shrink earth on the box earth. Shorten the earths in the terminals so they are not all poking out on the other side of the terminal. There is one neutral fly lead from the RCBO around the middle that looks like it needs moving up slightly in the terminal. The T&E coming through the back should have been stripped using an electricians knife not ripping out the earth. Cut off the unused bus bar live unless there are more RCBO's to go on. I assume the bus bar (live) cover is going to go on when you are finished? I would try to achieve a straighter line on the neutral fly leads from the RCBO's rather than them all sweeping in as they do. Apart from that lovely!

That's seriously tidy work, the only thing I'd think about is whether the CU back openings on a wooden board could compromise the fire enclosure. It's a grey area but if it were in my house I'd want any material completing the enclosure to have a reasonable fire rating.

There's some chat about it on the voltimum site here. In reality it's unlikely ever to be an issue, but worth a thought.

Is it just me...or is the bus bar at the bottom awfully close to the base of the consumers unit

It almost looks like it is touching or at best a smoke paper away from touching

Why 2 separate feeds?
Is it all on 1 phase?
The main problem you have is the very poor lay out of the panel..
You would have done better yourself building one from scratch..

Reply to Critical Feedback recent Consumer unit install Please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back