Discuss CSA and resistance of 20 & 25mm Steel Conduit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the CSA and resistance of 20 & 25mm steel conduit?

It's for part of my 2396 project where I'm using the conduit as CPC, I'm happy enough with the calculations I just need some numbers to work with.

I've tried various manufacturers websites and come up short so if someone has any data sheets it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I did have a big table of the figures but I can't seem to find that, however I did find this.
IET Forums - CSA tables for steel conduit?? - http://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=24288

GN1 seems to get named dropped a lot and if memory serves me correctly, they are at the back of that book.

Best of luck with your project!

Cheers mate, funnily enough I've been gazing at page 60 of GN1. It gives the minimum CSA but no resistance per meter which is what I need.

Although it does say refer to GN6 however I'm loathed to give the IET another £20 odd for another book, they've had enough of my cash already and will demand more next year!!!

Unless someone has the formulae to hand?

I'd imagine that you could use the formula

R = ρ*L/A

With ρ being the resistivity of the material, L being 1 metre, A being the CSA in m²?

I have however found something that may help you, I don't actually know where the information for the table was sourced from, so you'll have to take it with a tiny pinch of salt and try and work back from there, perhaps try searching for the BS numbers and checking for a minimum resistance/m for it to comply.

View attachment ConduitCPC.jpg

View attachment TrunkingCPC.jpg

For my C&G 2396.

Was having a problem with a 16 amp TP-N supply for HVAC as the adiabatic wasn't giving me what I wanted.

Using the conduit as CPC soon cured that... :D

@Strima,
I haven’t checked the links yet as I am traveling.
I would suggest that you verify that the data is correct somehow, so that you can reference it correctly.
All the information you need is in GN8.
Once I get to my laptop, maybe later tonight, but, probably tomorrow evening when I get back to my hotel, I will copy the relevant info from GN8 for you if you want.

@netblindpaul it would be greatly appreciated mate, the links seem pretty close to what I've been looking up on the net.

I would have thought manufacturers data sheets would have contain some specifications but as usual they seem to be coming up short.

Thanks again.

@Strima,

Please feel free to PM me tomorrow evening to remind me.

I have a 7:00 am flight tomorrow morning and then back to the uk tomorrow evening so it’s going to be a long day.
I also have a lot going on, so a reminder will be useful!

Cheers mate, I won't hassle you too much, I know what those days are like!!!

Reply to CSA and resistance of 20 & 25mm Steel Conduit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net