Discuss CSCS Card, electricians mate?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
im studying at the moment doing C&G level 2 electrical installations, I've been told if I can get a job with a sparky and paid for an apprenticeship I could do NVQ level 3 but I need the cscs card clearing up, do I have to say what job it's for because electrician is in the list but electrician mate is not so would I say I'm a general operative/labourer??
and if I did get them to write labourer on my card I'm guessing that covers electricians mate and also if I did another job for example, kitchen fitters mate, or another job onsite does the same card cover me for that job??

Cheers

Thanks

The card you mention I believe that's specifically for sparkys?? Which is my ideal job but Im just concerned if its a different card for different jobs or if one can cover most mates jobs

I don't think there is any such grade as an electrician's mate only a labourer's ECS card

Thank you very much

I hope it's not too much of a difference test or price, We have just been doing practice health and safety tests in class for when we do the real thing in January and I did well so felt confident about passing the cscs test, but now you are talking about the ecs I'm back to square one knowing nothing about it, but thanks for all, least I know what to research!!

Chris

They send you all the questions and answers in a booklet beforehand so you can read up. I think they send you 100 or so questions and the test is only a random 30 of these.

Most of the answers are 'ask your supervisor'! Don't worry, it's VERY easy, and no, the cost is comparable, like £30 or so.

You can't really fail it, but you will be able to get your Electrical Improver card from it at least. Then you are in the JIB system, so when you get the NVQ 3 you can get your 'employer' to sign section 10 of the form so you can upgrade your card.

I say 'employer' because even you are self-employed (as I was) as long as the person you are subbing to is willing to sign to say that you are working 'as an electrician' then that is fine ( or at least it was.. FGS they keep changing things!).

If in doubt, come back on here and ask again.

(And as a newbie, get friendly with the 'thanks' button if you think a member has helped you!).

They send you all the questions and answers in a booklet beforehand so you can read up. I think they send you 100 or so questions and the test is only a random 30 of these.

Most of the answers are 'ask your supervisor'! Don't worry, it's VERY easy, and no, the cost is comparable, like £30 or so.

You can't really fail it, but you will be able to get your Electrical Improver card from it at least. Then you are in the JIB system, so when you get the NVQ 3 you can get your 'employer' to sign section 10 of the form so you can upgrade your card.

I say 'employer' because even you are self-employed (as I was) as long as the person you are subbing to is willing to sign to say that you are working 'as an electrician' then that is fine ( or at least it was.. FGS they keep changing things!).

(And as a newbie, get friendly with the 'thanks' button if you think a member has helped you!).

You can fail it.. I did!

I believe the CSCS card was about £30 for the card and £17 for the test so if it's that I'm happy, I just want my foot In the door!!!

cscs is all you need when working as a mate. it says construction site operative on it, there is one card for all.
worry about ecs when you got all your qualifications and experience and get a job as a proper spark.

I now know which card to get as much as writing them down on 2 pieces of paper, getting someone to put behind his back and I'll just choose an hand ha
But thanks for all replies
im guessing no matter if its cscs or ecs I'll still be able to work onsite which was my main worry, most electricians mates just say must have cscs card, experience etc but i did see a couple just asking for the card, but it's the part about what it says on it, But if it's one card for all then that answers my question, cheers

!
cscs is all you need when working as a mate. it says construction site operative on it, there is one card for all.
worry about ecs when you got all your qualifications and experience and get a job as a proper spark.

Seen as your from Leeds, google this address:-

Part 3rd Floor Offices, Atlas House,
31 King St,
LS1 2HL
Leeds

As said before just get your cscs card for now. Book yourself in for the exam only at the above address. Do the ECS later when you have learnt more.

PS what college are you at? LCC or LBC?

Thanks for that Paul, I'm at Lockwood Leeds college of building

Seen as your from Leeds, google this address:-

Part 3rd Floor Offices, Atlas House,
31 King St,
LS1 2HL
Leeds

As said before just get your cscs card for now. Book yourself in for the exam only at the above address. Do the ECS later when you have learnt more.

PS what college are you at? LCC or LBC?

Reply to CSCS Card, electricians mate?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net