Discuss CSCS / ECS Card drudgery in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

OldskoolUpNorth

Morning all,

Another bit of brain picking for the day!

I've had a good look around the forums but can't find the answer to this one, although it's probably been asked a thousand times.

Registering for NVQ 3 tomorrow, before it goes up to 6 grand for the new course!

Whats the script with CSCS cards?

CSCS site says as long as your registered on an NVQ you can get the 'Trainee' card.

ECS say they want at least 2330 pt1 and sponsorship from an employer before you can get their 'level 1 Trainee' card.

Is this right or am I missing something.

Why the massive difference in criteria or will CSCS actually want the same?

Any help greatfully accepted as always.

Cheers ears!

The CSCS card is for persons who aren't engaged in electrical work.
As such they don't care whether you have any electrical qualifications.
The ECS card is for persons who are engaged in electrical work.
As such they want you to prove that you are in fact an electrician, or training to become one.

Cheers Spin,

In that case, if i'm to get a portfolio buit up while working as a 'mate' a CSCS card would do??

But then I'd be engaged in electrical work so need the ECS surely.

This is mental, can't get experience for nvq without a card, can't get a ECS card without 1st part of 2330 and a job!!!!

The CSCS card will get you on to site.
Whether the people running the site will make a fuss if you do electrical work, without the ECS card is another matter.
As to working out what the JIB want, that's anyone's guess.
I know they do visitors cards and managers cards which I believe don't require you to have any qualifications?
Have you tried phoning them up?

Cheers Spin,

In that case, if i'm to get a portfolio buit up while working as a 'mate' a CSCS card would do??

But then I'd be engaged in electrical work so need the ECS surely.

This is mental, can't get experience for nvq without a card, can't get a ECS card without 1st part of 2330 and a job!!!!

In which case i'd get the cscs trainee card which plumbers , builders , etc use , thats all you need to get onto building sites.
then when you've built up quals & experience apply for the ecs card , which like spin says , is specifically for sparks.

The SJIB want qualifications to give you a grade card not sure about the rest as I served my time but realise it is another system today

The CSCS card will get you on to site.
Whether the people running the site will make a fuss if you do electrical work, without the ECS card is another matter.
As to working out what the JIB want, that's anyone's guess.
I know they do visitors cards and managers cards which I believe don't require you to have any qualifications?
Have you tried phoning them up?

Not tried phoning yet,
Only decided NVQ was the way to go Friday really.

In which case i'd get the cscs trainee card which plumbers , builders , etc use , thats all you need to get onto building sites.
then when you've built up quals & experience apply for the ecs card , which like spin says , is specifically for sparks.

Thanks Biff,

Hopefully i might be able to do a bit of tray/ conduit work and even some terminations to stick in a portfolio.

Better start with CSCS and keep pluggin away....

All good info, cheers lads.

First thing is to get on NVQ and CSCS Trainee card then.

I'll worry about experience once I've got a job on site.

It's a proper poor system if your not doing it from school age but I know people manage it.

Ta!

Neil.

i dont have a card. i just tell the site manager that i have left it at home and i will bring it in 2moro. by then he has forgotten .works everytime!!

My experience says i bet he comes back to you.

you can still get a esc card as electrical labourer, and most sites are getting health and safety mad, ps most site will not go for the i left it at home story, and they will just tell you to go away
you may need to look in to getting a apprentership if you are under 25 saves you paying for it,
best thing to do is just pop down you collage to get a guide, i do not really trust all these get qual in 6 weeks course all they make you is a domestic installer lol

first of all, this is my first post so hello! second, sorry oldskool for highjacking your thread but i have a question regarding cards ect.

I completed my apprentiship in 2006 and was subsequently issued with a sjib card. I never renewed it when it ran out in 2009 as i wasnt working as a sparky. Im now looking to return to the trade, im doing the 17th regs at the end of the month and will need to do ecs health and safety in order to get my grade card renewed. In order to speed up the process could i use the JIB fast track service in sidcup even though im based in Scotland and have svq 3 ?

cheers , Steve

If you can get down to Sidcup, you can get a card on the day, dont worry too much about the grade, as long as it gets you on site.

yes i believe you can its all the same thing,

just ring up jib to check which bits you need to fill in on the app they send you, p,s you may need to fill in the whole app as you have been out of the game

I went and got it on the day in Sidcup, was in there an hour tops. The sites I work on if your asked for it and can't produce it there and then it's a straight go home.

Forgot it one day starting a new site where I knew the site agent had worked on many of his sites but in the induction he had to put the number off it in his book made me go home even tho he had already seen it 10-15 times.

sounds like the guy was a right jobsworth MNR. Every job i see has "must have sjib/cscs card" . Every agency i speak to demand it aswell, they must have tightened up on it since i left the trade as was never once asked for it pre 2007!

sounds like the guy was a right jobsworth MNR. Every job i see has "must have sjib/cscs card" . Every agency i speak to demand it aswell, they must have tightened up on it since i left the trade as was never once asked for it pre 2007!

Normally alright let's us park on site while the plumbers have a half mile walk to find a parking space lol. Think it had something to do with me getting inducted with a group of 10 dry liners none with cscs and could only speak 5 words of English between them.

Reply to CSCS / ECS Card drudgery in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock