Discuss CSCS Need clarification! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanHW

What does a CSCS card entitle you to do. Also seen websites talking about ECS? and JIB?
My local college does 1 evening for CSCS so was wondering if its it worth it. I am also looking to self certify my work? So who can I register with to become a competent person? Thanks Very Much

To get on pretty much all construction sites you need to have a basic CSCS card which shows you have basic health and safety. The ECS is same as CSCS but electrical biased and is issued by the JIB.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

If your planning to work on construction sites then go for the ECS. From what you say you are wanting to sign your own work off of which I know nothing about which if you are going out find your own work you probably don't need an ECS card.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

The ECS/JIB card, is the CSCS card for electricians.
You could probably get on site with the CSCS card, and may even be allowed to carry out electrical work.
However, if you intend signing up with any Agencies, you will need a ECS/JIB card, for most to class you as an electrician.
As for signing off your own work, you would need to register with a self certification scheme such as NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa etc.

if your looking to sign off your own work, you'll need to regester with the NICEIC. the minimum qualification they accept is the EAL domestic installer scheme. last time i checked NAPIT and Elecsa had minimum quals as NVQ3. and its not as easy as just regestering, you need insurance and they check a few jobs anually.

Most of the quals mentioned I will have. So if I wanna work on my own I need to do that. But if I wanna work for others on sites what card is best? Also if I'm working for a company during the day but want to carry out my own private work I assume I will need to get the above.

CSCS card is evidence of your basic knowledge of H+S, as is your ECS/JIB card (CSCS for electricians). You will probably need 1 of these to be allowed on construction sites, and most contractors like you having a JIB card. the JIB rating on your depends on your quals. if you want to do the electrical side then get an ECS card and save yourself the money of getting CSCS card and then an ECS card.you can have a JIB grading as labourer to start with, but if you deside to go the quick route of doing the EAL domestic installer scheme then your JIB grading will not get very high as it is not a qualification that JIB recognise!

It's worth noting that Self-Certifying is just for domestic work to comply with Part P of Building Regs. Your scheme provider (NICEIC, NAPIT, Elecsa etc.) would inspect your work annually and it costs about £500 per year plus courses, calibrating of your testing kit and your Public Liability Insurance. You need to decide on which type of work you intend to do- Sites (Subby), Commercial or Domestic.

Reply to CSCS Need clarification! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net