Discuss cu change price at the big orange shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
went down the warehouse full of edjits today looking for garden stuff

wondered down the leccy isle to find a big notice consumer unit change by our local blah blah £449.. not inc bonding or any faults...

im charging £350 including new tails not inc bonding...

sorry no pics :]

went down the warehouse full of edjits today looking for garden stuff

wondered down the leccy isle to find a big notice consumer unit change by our local blah blah £449.. not inc bonding or any faults...

im charging £350 including new tails not inc bonding...

sorry no pics :]

Atleast you now have a price to refer to when convincing your customers of value for money. A welcome change to the current "17th edition consumer unit upgrade, prices starting at £200" advertisements, no?

Dunno, they are everywhere tonight, apparently into wholesale and all sorts of stuff. I think VoltzE is there sales director, either that or maybe his PC has a crumb stuck under a function key he has programmed. Very strange.
Has the earth moved tonight or something, i know its been a bit windy, well in Yapan anywhay

£449? What a ripoff! You can buy one in B&Q for 50 quid!
yes....you can then inform `the fella who stands at the end of the bar` that you have the new C/U so he can come and fit it for you for a fistfull of fivers and a crate....caus you heard it on the grapevine that he `knew about electrics`....:cowboy:

yes....you can then inform `the fella who stands at the end of the bar` that you have the new C/U so he can come and fit it for you for a fistfull of fivers and a crate....caus you heard it on the grapevine that he `knew about electrics`....:cowboy:
... Or just have a bash yourself - it can't be that difficult...

I installed one of these £50 (weell £55 now) jobs from B&Q the other week, did it as a favor for a nabour who has helped me out of a lot of difficaties over the last 2 months - least i could do considering he had a BS3036 rewireable installed - gained a full rewire (paid for) from it as well as 3 other nabours all wanted their CUs updated and rewired houses.

Anyway back to the club 3000 - it was actually a very nice board to work with - better than most I have worked with - only argument was the plastic catches where not up to what they could be. Otherwise I would use them again no question asked.

Im thinking about sticking a card into every box my local B&Q has on stands - easy and free advertising - could get into some trouble - hence I dont know yet

not clever;6165 B&Q and all those types of shed shouldnt be alowed to sell cu's if you ask me.[/QUOTE said:
Why not? Halford's will happily sell you bits for your car, Plumb Center will gladly sell you everything you need to install a heating system with no questions asked, any merchants will sell you bricks and RSJs without you having to prove competence.
A garden centre will provide you with very powerful toxins that will get rid of people you don't like quite quickly and you don't have to provide them with anything other than the amount of cash they want

Why not? Halford's will happily sell you bits for your car, Plumb Center will gladly sell you everything you need to install a heating system with no questions asked, any merchants will sell you bricks and RSJs without you having to prove competence.
A garden centre will provide you with very powerful toxins that will get rid of people you don't like quite quickly and you don't have to provide them with anything other than the amount of cash they want
yes....its called the right to free trade....something our country was based on.....and of course buyer beware....its up to the likes of B&W, WICKES, and the supermarkets etc what they sell and to who they sell it to...or not........likewise, its up to people what they choose to do on/in their own property/s....nowt to do with anyone else.....and that includes the `part P police`, wannabe directors and government snoopers going round....

Yeah but there's limits to 'free trade' and they can regulate the sale of items where they see fit. Take refrigerant gasses for example...

Any restrictions on the sheds selling anything will be fought against tooth and nail, they are big businesses so the government is scared of them. They would claim that a restriction would force them to pay off many hundreds/thousands of their friendly helpful experts and rob them of their rightful profits.
If electrical items were restricted then every other trade would demand the same for their materials. The sheds would probably be closed if all trades materials were restricted at what cost to the country?
That's why it'll never happen

Club3000 is that the holiday resort for oap's

B&Q and all those types of shed shouldnt be alowed to sell cu's if you ask me.

What's the betting, 9 or more out of every ten sold are to electricians trying to keep their costs down!!!

Have no time at all, for those that think the general public owes the self employed electricians a living!!!

I'd look at the B & Q prices as an opportunity:

B & Q say they can do it for £449 + bonding + faults + VAT

Most competent sparkys will charge between £300 - £350 for the CU and as sole traders no VAT so we're always going to be cheaper than the big shed.

Nice.

Wholesalers opening hours are great for everyday use.
B&Q, toolstation, screwfix etc. are open 8 til 8 7 days handy for occasional purchases when working evenings/weekends on a deadline.
However, there should be warnings all over the place about the dangers of stuffing up your own electrical work, which of course there are not.

Another factor to consider is that electrical wholesalers, a place where this information would be more likely given, consistently charge joe public way over the going rate and therefore discourage them from ever visiting.

However, there should be warnings all over the place about the dangers of stuffing up your own electrical work, which of course there are not.

Utter rubbish! Open the box of any fitting, there'll be a leaflet inside and somewhere on that will be a warning reading something like "If in doubt, consult a suitably qualified electrician"
If Joe Soap disregards that advice and fries himself then what can we do?

that's fair enough on a light fitting or socket/switch, trev, but in the case of CUs and PDs, i think that warning should be a lot bolder and prominent.

Reply to cu change price at the big orange shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net