Discuss CU Change today - anyone familiar with these ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did an easy CU change today, the only things of note were there was only one RFC and in the old Wylex each leg was connected to its own 30 amp fuse ! The place was built in 1964 so probably been like that for 50 years ?
The other unusual [to me] thing was a '2 part' Crabtree trip switch with a separate big coil unit - no actual connection from the board to a 'field' terminal as you would find in a traditional voltage trip either, so I'm wondering if this was a very early RCD ?
A couple of before and after pics are attached to peruse....

SAM_0292.jpgSAM_0294.jpgSAM_0297.jpgSAM_0299.jpgSAM_0302.jpg

Yes I saved them Dave, the left hand part was exactly like the old Crabtree Voltage trip but without the test button which was on the coil unit. It could well be a very early RCD but probably known as a 'current trip' or something like that back then.

You will probably find that it is a voltage operated trip which has been adapted by the manufacturer to operate on current by adding the coil.
There is a very similar device I have come across in the past where that trip and coil are housed in one enclosure but still two distinct parts when you look inside

I'm sure I've seen one the same before, I did take a photo, I'll see if I can find it.

you know those blanks, do you like them? I generally speaking always fill up all the ways with breakers to avoid using blanks, either that or use proper blanks that fit on the din rail.

I'm sure I've seen one the same before, I did take a photo, I'll see if I can find it.

you know those blanks, do you like them? I generally speaking always fill up all the ways with breakers to avoid using blanks, either that or use proper blanks that fit on the din rail.

I don't mind that type of blank to be honest, I don't like leaving unused MCBs in the board though as invariably someone switches them on which an cause confusion and also look like I haven't labelled properly ! I left the spare MCBs with the customer as there's a lot more work to be done there over the coming months.

Ha! I put unused mcbs in a db the other day when I ran out of din rail blanks. It didn't feel right, even though I have literally a bucketful of new mcbs going spare.

It was TT, mind you having run in a new 16mm earth & new rod and cover box I noticed a small label on the meter board which said 'PME AVAILABLE ON REQUEST' :lol:

Reply to CU Change today - anyone familiar with these ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net