Discuss Cu change with intergrated contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ampo

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I've just been to a flat with the old double stack mem cu which includes an old 63 a contactor for the storage heaters. Looks like contractor is getting very warm over time and the board could do with an upgrade. Anyone had to do similar and if so can recommend a good brand? I'm guessing these days the only way is to get a din mounted electronic contactor? Looks like it has a separate 1.5 armoured coming into cu with the tails, one leg to contactor and other to a 6a mcb so this must be being used as the switch line via a timer in the meter cupboard somewhere (which I'll have to find to kill mains tails). Just wondering if anyone knows of a good board for it. Single or double stack with at least 14 ways plus contactor. Also if intriloducing rcd protection has any one had issues with storage heaters? Couldent get in the meter cupboard today but from memory am I correct in thinking you can override the timer at meter for testing purposes on the off peak side? Any help appreciated

The old mechanical timeclocks had an override button... I don’t think the new ones will. Just do your testing at midnight and charge time and a half. ;)

can’t help you with contactor issue

I don't really like high current din rail contactors. Much nicer to fit something with big heavy duty contacts such as an Enbray type, mounted outside the consumer unit. Though these are quite expensive. They usually have DC coils so they don't buzz.

Use the alternative Zs test method (L-E short at the far end of the circuit) and the live of the 24hr supply to get Zs.
Use a temporary connection to the 24hr supply to test the RCDs

I don't really like high current din rail contactors. Much nicer to fit something with big heavy duty contacts such as an Enbray type, mounted outside the consumer unit. Though these are quite expensive. They usually have DC coils so they don't buzz.
I know , I've only ever fitted that type but I'd like to keep it simple and intergrated as it's on display in the flat. Anyone used cp fusebox stuff? Very reasonable for what I need and I'm hearing good things. I guess you just cut the bar back and fit the contactor at the end furthest from the main switch? Seems the best way to me

Reply to Cu change with intergrated contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net