Discuss CU Entry, Old 1980s cable (?) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

jon557

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone recognise this cable? Within it is all twin & earth but the externals are different colours (orange for 2.5, blue for 1.5 etc.). I believe someone told me this cable was specifically for being plastered over. Inside the cores have a lot of free air.

If I know what it's called I might be able to find specific grommets for a new CU I'm installing soon. Or I use the Wiska ones or I convert all cables to new grey twin/earth with a junction/marshalling box.

DSC_0766.JPG

Hi,

If I know what it's called I might be able to find specific grommets for a new CU I'm installing soon. Or I use the Wiska ones or I convert all cables to new grey twin/earth with a junction/marshalling box.

I don't quite follow this, why do you need special grommets to fit this cable? How would installing a junction box solve this?

So the options I identified were:
1) Some sort of grommet specific for this oval cable
2) Perhaps the whiska membrane grommets work, never seen them before. Sounds like they will.
3) Worse case scenario I have a box next to my CU that crimps all these cables into new grey twin & earth, which would then be more normal for entering the CU.

I think Wiska it is. No one has recognised this cable yet then?

So the options I identified were:
1) Some sort of grommet specific for this oval cable
2) Perhaps the whiska membrane grommets work, never seen them before. Sounds like they will.
3) Worse case scenario I have a box next to my CU that crimps all these cables into new grey twin & earth, which would then be more normal for entering the CU.
got any pics for the old cu .

I am changing the board for many reasons. I have 3 boards with eco7, all eco7 devices can now be set digitally to switch on so I don't want the multiple units/cables. One board is an old fuse board, I want rid of that. Only half the circuits are covered by RCD, installing all RCBO instead etc.

I'm also a complete geek so I'm putting in type 2/3 SPD, help protect my equipment but also trying an AFDD on my main ring mostly just out of interest.

I'm also a complete geek so I'm putting in type 2/3 SPD, help protect my equipment but also trying an AFDD on my main ring mostly just out of interest.
afdd's and spd's????? more money than sense... fur coat and no knickers.

If the cable inside is Twin and earth, not singles as I thought, (maybe another system) then just trim the outer coloured sleeves off at the wall and treat the T&E as normal.

Reply to CU Entry, Old 1980s cable (?) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net