Discuss Cu in basement and separate cu upstairs ground floor? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello
I am currently rewiring an old house which has tails in basement from meter going into a 60A fused isolator which feeds all the existing circuits from a fusebox in an inconvenient location, to be made redundant.
I need to send power to both a consumer unit in the basement, and a separate CU on the ground floor which will feed circuits at ground level and upstairs level.
DO I:
Treat Ground Floor CU as a sub main, therefore run SWA/ other from Basement to upstairs ? The cable I intend to run above the plasterboard ceiling, poss fixed to the joists
OR
Go from isolator straight to GF CU and send back to basement using that as the 'sub'? The basement may be let to tenants therefore upstairs inhabitants may prefer if possible not to have their CU running off a breaker in the basement.
OR
Feed both CUs independently from the isolator switch/ fix up a 2nd isolator switches?

What is the better option?
Then- can I up the fuse rating in this isolator switch? I'm concerned that the maximum demand may exceed 60A if it was upstream of both CUs.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks,
Nick
Cu in basement and separate cu upstairs ground floor? IMG_4379 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi Lee
I'm not self-cert yet, just practical experience and some C&G qualifications in testing & inspecting, 17th edition and Part P. The LABC have been contacted.

one more 60a isolator, link it up to that henley block and use swa for cable run upstairs.
existing one use for a separate consumer unit in the basement.

Hello
I am currently rewiring an old house which has tails in basement from meter going into a 60A fused isolator which feeds all the existing circuits from a fusebox in an inconvenient location, to be made redundant.
I need to send power to both a consumer unit in the basement, and a separate CU on the ground floor which will feed circuits at ground level and upstairs level.
DO I:
Treat Ground Floor CU as a sub main, therefore run SWA/ other from Basement to upstairs ? The cable I intend to run above the plasterboard ceiling, poss fixed to the joists
OR
Go from isolator straight to GF CU and send back to basement using that as the 'sub'? The basement may be let to tenants therefore upstairs inhabitants may prefer if possible not to have their CU running off a breaker in the basement.
OR
Feed both CUs independently from the isolator switch/ fix up a 2nd isolator switches?

What is the better option?
Then- can I up the fuse rating in this isolator switch? I'm concerned that the maximum demand may exceed 60A if it was upstream of both CUs.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks,
Nick

If there's any possibility of the basement being let to tenants, I'd use the existing switch fuse to supply the ground floor board and install a board for the basement run direct off the Henley block (provided it's within 3m).

Dependent on assessment of load, of course.

You then have the option of easily metering the basement supply or putting it on its own DNO supply at a later date.

Not separate property- basement to be used as granny annexe/ spare guest accommodation.

So what's this then??

The basement may be let to tenants therefore upstairs inhabitants may prefer if possible not to have their CU running off a breaker in the basement.

If this is the case, then the installation will need to accommodate the needs of both tenant and the homeowner. That means provision for a second meter among other things!!

I've a feeling this is your first rewire after a short course at a training center, and it's not as straight forward as you thought!!

If the basement is going to be let out to tenants then the main house's meter will ideally want moving into the house.
A seperate supply for the basement shouldn't be too hard considering there is a TP head there, then it prevents any hassle with splitting the electricity bill.

i would feed the upstairs board from the isolator provided and henley block into a small 2 way fuseboard for the basement. Then you could run swa of this one to the basement fuseboard position. Just a thought

What has the customer ACTUALLY asked for with respect to circuits? and their reasoning?

Reply to Cu in basement and separate cu upstairs ground floor? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock