Discuss CU Installation, Step by Step in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AliRaZoR

funniest forum's members

Hi

Could any one teach me, how to design and install a CU?
How to select RCD,MCB(and connection)?

thanks in advance.​

Last edited by a moderator:
college course can. then loads of experience after that. before designing CU, you have to design the circuits that it's supplying, decide how you are going to organise the layout in the CU, then the type and rating of overload devices RCD or RCBOs, etc., etc.

Last edited:
That's kinda like requesting that someone on a forum board teach you how to drive a car. Installation work is a bit more involved than you may think it is, every installation is different so there's not just one foolproof way to do all installations.

Installing consumer units isn't really starting at the ground floor so to speak. Have you got any electrical training or experience?

Assuming little or no experience, then this is not the sort of thing you can learn from a book. You could learn from several books, but you will need some experience, and probably someone with the relevant experience. I don't wish to offend, but design, construction, installation, and testing and inspection is a bit beyond someone who wants to learn from a book. It is not rocket science, but there is a lot to it, far more than could ever be covered in this forum at one go.

As Tel rightly says again, its a college course at the very least to get to the standard.

Cheers..........Howard

The book will help you, the book wants to help you but you must also help it to help you to help yourself.

Ask in B@Q is my best advice they sell them so they must no how to install them or read the instructions!
Or pay anything upto 5k and do a 4 week course :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to know where in the book to find the specific information you need.
There's a 10 week course on that. Yes, a 10 week course on how to read a book!

thanks for reply, i am going to start reading of that book, but my main interest is the way that you connect MCB,RCD,... in CU.
Well that's the easy part. Before you even take the old one out you need to test the installation to check for problems such as borrowed neutrals which will cause problems later.

The test procedure is in the onsite guide, however the idea is to read and understand the book then refer back to it, rather than use it as a step by step checklist.

1. Screw it to the wall
2. Connect tails and earths/bonds
3. Fit protective devices
4. Connect final circuits
5. Rush to PC and post a HELP! thread on this forum because RCD's wont stay in.
6. Forum members politely explain that final circuits should be tested in accordance with Bs 7671 before connection.
7. Realization dawns that you dont know how to test in accordance with Bs 7671 and in fact there is a lot more than you thought to changing a CU.
8. Call an Electrician with experience to sort it for you.

Reply to CU Installation, Step by Step in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net