Discuss CU Main Switch fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've got an unusual fault on a cu main switch in a Wylex split load board. I was called to a property with no power. The main switch was in the off position and both rcds and all breakers were in the on position. There was a leak on the toilet but no water through the electrics. Checked it over and switched the main switch back on.
I was upstairs with the plumber when 5 minutes later power goes off and main switch had dropped again. Switched back on, went back next day, checked property, changed main switch for new one, polarity correct, Ze 0.28, PFC 0.83, ins res >299 on all circuits except down sockets which was 154. Ramp test 27 Rcd test 28/13 on both rcds.
Question was asked if anyone had switched main switch off which didn't go down very well. Property was solar panels. Never come across this before, any guidance would be most helpful.

Someone must have turned it off, it's a switch The clues in the title, they have to be switched off as they don't trip.

The board and original switch were wylex, switch replaced with crabtree from van and fault reappeared in the morning. Unsure if switch was new so replaced with another Crabtree switch robbed from a new consumer unit and also same fault. So according to customer same fault on three different switches. All switches felt as though they were operating well.
As said before the customer was asked if anyone could be switching it off without her knowing and wasnt happy I'd asked the question.

It's in a cupboard at front door between stairs and kitchen. Husband and wife and two teenage girls.Called out last night again customer said when power went off everyone was in lounge eating Chinese. No one else in the house. Ghosts have been mentioned!!!!

They are taking the mick, as a few members have said already they do not trip out, so someone is switching them off and to even let the idea that you have had 3 faulty switches in a row enter your head is just daft, You are being led up the garden path.

It's in a cupboard at front door between stairs and kitchen. Husband and wife and two teenage girls.Called out last night again customer said when power went off everyone was in lounge eating Chinese. No one else in the house. Ghosts have been mentioned!!!!

It could be something less sinister and the wife may fancy you!! are you wearing aftershave or lynx deodorant when you attend site.

I once got called back to a house to a chandelier that ceased working the day after I had been round to install an oven and replace a RCD. It was on the way home so I popped in to have a look.
Turned out the householders "mate" had been round and unscrewed all of the bulbs so they were just sat in the shades for a joke.

I haven't seen one that switches itself off, let alone 3. I have seen one with heat damage that was stuck on but it was quite obvious. Any chance you can fit one of em at home?

Reply to CU Main Switch fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net