Discuss CU Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

You will need to do all the useuall test on each circuit:

Continuity of protective conductors including main and supplementry bonding
Continuity of ring final circuits
Insulation resistance
Polarity
Earth loop impedence (Zs)
External impedance (Ze)
PFC

You might want to do this before you change the cu incase there is a problem with one or more of the cicuits. GN3 is a great book on the inspection & test procedure.

And you will have to notify local building control because it falls under part p.

hope this helps:)

Not as of yet, but as long as i issue a cert and notify building control i am ok, this is what i believe anyway??

You are right but you have to notify building control before you start the work so they can come out and see it during the work and then after and they will do an Inspection & test. This will also cost you but not sure how much. Where I live its about £110 for jobs under £2000. But in a near by city its about £500, so it depends how much your lbc will charge.:confused:

You are right but you have to notify building control before you start the work so they can come out and see it during the work and then after and they will do an Inspection & test. This will also cost you but not sure how much. Where I live its about £110 for jobs under £2000. But in a near by city its about £500, so it depends how much your lbc will charge.:confused:
quite right about notifying before work starts but i wouldnt think they would check a cu change beforehand as its all exposed

dont forget earthing and bonding before you start the work

Ok thanks for all the info, so if bonding is not there is it a must that it is done before the work or do i note it down on the cert and then the customer decides whether to have it done?? Also what is the best way to test the bonding or anything else that is far away from the cu, will i need an extension reel for my tester??

Agree Check bonding and tails etc also before a cu change i always do continuity and ir tests ! you may open up a can of worms and if you do your prepared for it !

Agree Check bonding and tails etc also before a cu change i always do continuity and ir tests ! you may open up a can of worms and if you do your prepared for it !
oops :eek: forgot to mention tails, cant believe someone who has already changed cu`s is asking these questions :eek:

i would advise some additional training before attempting the work, its a bigger job than people think and can cause a lot of problems, judging by your questions i would doubt your competance.
Gn3 will give you a lot of info on the testing procedures also look up on earthing and bonding

As above test first before you dis the existing. Is this for your assessment ? I thought you had to be registered To become a arms member?

so if bonding is not there is it a must that it is done before the work or do i note it down on the cert and then the customer decides whether to have it done??

customer :eek: if the bonding isnt there or isnt up to scratch dont do the job if customer wont agree ! you will need a wander lead for bonding testing if you dont have one make one ! If its for an assessment most people do their own CU change or rewire or for a mate or family etc as its easier to get them to agree on what needs doing ! if its for an assessment make sure your install is up to bs7671 as you will fail if it isnt and if not for assessment then the lbc will tell you what you need to do to rectify it before they test/insp and issue your cert.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to CU Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net