Discuss Curious fault in double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, There's this double socket in the tack room of an old stables. It's fed individually direct from the CU in the workshop next door. There is nothing else on this circuit although another radial is wired into the same 16A breaker which feeds another double socket in the storeroom next to the tack room. The tack room socket started tripping the RCD whenever put under load. At first I though an appliance fault until I tried a lamp, a drill, and an angle grinder all of which tripped the RCD when plugged into the tack room socket and all of which work fine when plugged in elsewhere. So I powered down and took the socket apart finding no visible fault in the wiring or connections, everything tight, no insulation damage etc. So then I replaced the socket thinking well maybe that's faulty, but no, same thing happened. So what might be the possible causes of such a fault? Earth leakage across the whole system? Any suggestions as to what possible causes of this fault might be? Thanks in advance.

A sparky with test equipment will be able to find the issue quickly and relatively inexpensively.

I'd just be guessing trying to diagnose over the tinterwebs

Could be a 300 metre run in pyro Ferg :eek:

Reply to Curious fault in double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have just checked a double outlet and it trips at 18ma. It was supposed to be faulty. Washing machine had a bad heater which got replaced but...
Replies
Views
Hi, I replaced an outdoor electrical socket recently with a 2 gang, BG socket which has LED lights to show when it is switched on. Since then I...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am a homeowner (but not an electrician) and I am renovating a house that has an old CU containing MCBs and an MK LN5725 residual...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I'm having trouble diagnosing a fault on a customers downstairs socket ring, which only ever trips when the washing machine is used. The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock