Discuss Curious homeowner ~ what kind of electrical cable is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Debra Sue

DIY
Reaction score
I have limited construction background, specifically residential framing & roofing. I have been on numerous job sites (and would NEVER attempt electrical work or repair of any kind) but am curious what kind of curly electrical cable this is and why it is used. I have not ever seen this sort of cable and am simply curious why it is used???
Thanks kindly for any insight.

Curious homeowner ~ what kind of electrical cable is this? 7C12516A-93A3-439A-B08F-B3A27DB99886 - EletriciansForums.net

Depends where it's going from/to - that's the only real way to determine it's function.
[automerge]1568710427[/automerge]
In a chimney space in a house I was working on, there was a thick cable coming down from an attic crawl space to an old back boiler.

I have limited construction background, specifically residential framing & roofing. I have been on numerous job sites (and would NEVER attempt electrical work or repair of any kind) but am curious what kind of curly electrical cable this is and why it is used. I have not ever seen this sort of cable and am simply curious why it is used???

View attachment 52244
Debra that could be either a GFCI breaker or an AFCI breaker and that wire hooks to the neutral bar and please tell me you are not going to attempt to install this

Come on OP, give us some more info. Where does it come from or go to? What is the cavity that it is in?

Come on OP, give us some more info. Where does it come from or go to? What is the cavity that it is in?
I don’t have a clue about the cavity it’s in but the only time I see that squiggly wire is on an RCD breaker is what y’all would call it and an then an AFCI breaker we would need to see better pictures. I’m confused as you about it’s location
[automerge]1568748334[/automerge]

View attachment 52244
Debra I’m assuming that’s your finger touching it and appears not to be hooked to nothing is that all you see

Last edited:
it was straight until wood butcher's drill bit caught it. ;););)

I never thought I would see another one of these, wood butchers drill pig tailing, spot on ! I've only seen one myself, in our own home, a nice pig tail in a run of 10mm t&e, it bugged me until joiner told me how it may have been done, he seemed to have it perfected going by the way he detailed the method.
--

Reply to Curious homeowner ~ what kind of electrical cable is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock